Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wish I had my own car... (OT Vent)

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:47 PM
  • 8 Replies

I used to have a car. It was completely 100% mine. Had it since I was 17. I loved that car. To me, it was freedom. I didnt need anyone or anything. I had everything I needed. But when I got enganged, I moved to another state to be with my fiance. I had to take a plane, so my plan was to leave my car with my mom until I could come back and get it. Ive talked a little about this before, not sure if it was this group though. Anyway, my mom talked me into putting the car into her name so that she could get insurance on it and drive it since she didnt have a car. Then a few months ago, she was driving it and some guy cut her off and the car got totaled. So now my car is gone. And their was a settlement, and my mom kept the money and bought herself a new car with it. I got nothing out of it. She kept everything. Now, my husband and I have a car together, but since he works in the next town over and I work just down the street, he has the car pretty much always. Which makes sence to me, obviously. But that leaves me 7 and a half months pregnant taking the city bus to work everyday. And it really wouldnt be so bad, its not that far. But its getting to be really cold outside. And when I work at night, taking the bus scares me. Their are weird people out at all times of the day, but at night I feel so anxious. I hate this. I wish I could have my own car. I cant get over that my mom did this to me. Is that wrong of me?

CafeMom Tickers

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tobemomofthree
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:55 PM
Have you confronted your mom about what she did to you? I'd tell her to give you the payout or take her to small claims, honestly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Larsbug
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:56 PM

hell no I would be pissed!! your mom sounds like DH's mom...she is selfish and does things like this and doesn't think she did anything wrong. I would ask your mom where the hell your money is since the car was yours!

xxlilmomma09
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:59 PM
Honestly -- I would take it as a lesson learned and move on. It sucks that you lost your car, but holding grudges against others isn't good. There isn't anything you could do about your mother keeping the money because she legally owned the car. Once your husband and you are more stable, consider looking into a cheap car for yourself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whimsyjuggalett
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:10 PM

That's shady. Something my crooked mom would do to me. It's sad when you can't trust your own mother.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:19 PM

I'm sorry hun.  I know I wouldn't be to pleased if my mom did that to me.  :(  I would ask your mom why she did that.

Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:36 PM
You should of left your name on the title and added her. But unfortunantly there really is nothing you can do if you were not on the title.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skittlebeans88
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:38 PM
Did you buy the car in the beginning? If so, I think your mom hould owe you some money. You were nice enough to put it in her name so she could have something to drive!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NookBoookMom
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:43 PM

wow! I would be livid b/c she didnt pay for the car @ all and to benefit off of it is completely wrong of her to do considering she knew that she wouldnt have a car if it wasnt for you to sign it over. I would defintely bring it up and start telling your dh to put $$ on the side for you to get a car, I used to live in New York so i understand the whole public transportation but try carrying a taser or something with you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)