Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth plan.. Updated with a new question...

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:52 AM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

When did everyone start making their own birth plan? I have 5 months left and didn't know when to start mine. This is baby #3 but I never made a birth plan with my other two.

Can anyone give me examples of their birth plans??

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fairygirl_13
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:55 AM
Um, I just wrote stuff down a few weeks before with my hospital births, one I was in the hospital so I didn't have much say.
My 3rd, my birth plan was this:
call the midwife
stay home
Have a great birth

It worked out very well, I must say I am very happy :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
1 mom liked this

As soon as possible.     Even pre-pregnancy is okay!
;-)

The earlier you can get a draft made up the sooner you will be learning about your options through research, and the sooner you can go over your preferences-priorities with your care provider, "sleep on" the conversations and ideas, and continue to adjust it here & there.

ffirsttimemommy
I dint really Have one. I didn't have one with DS. I just want an epidural and I dont want a c section
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting fairygirl_13:
  one I was in the hospital so I didn't have much say.

You do have say  (doesn't mean it will necessarily be easy to achieve, of course), all the more reason to prepare prenatally, right?

;-)

"If you don't know your options you don't have any"          ~Korte & Scaer

"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice."    
           ~Rush

Mrs.Burke11
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM
I for sure want an epi asap because without it mu labor doesn't progress :( I know they will break my water because I haven't had it break on its own. I really hope this pregnancy my water does break on its own.. But the epi is a must i'm a big baby when it comes to pain.

Quoting ffirsttimemommy:

I dint really Have one. I didn't have one with DS. I just want an epidural and I dont want a c section

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:03 PM

How do you *know* labor doesn't progress?
How do you measure "progress"?

You really do have a lot of options.    You can find safer coping alternatives, you don't *have* to choose the epidural.    And even though it might be common, AROM is risky.   Safer to avoid.

It depends on your preferences which is a main point of the Birth Plan.   You get to learn about alternatives and prepare for them if you like.  

Quoting Mrs.Burke11:

I for sure want an epi asap because without it mu labor doesn't progress :( I know they will break my water because I haven't had it break on its own. I really hope this pregnancy my water does break on its own.. But the epi is a must i'm a big baby when it comes to pain.

justone_jen
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:06 PM
I'm 30 weeks, and mine changes the more I research, so I'd say as soon as possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:17 PM
I didnt make one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fairygirl_13
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:18 PM
Ya did have a say, and was told "no, your baby needs ____." And then _____ happened, even if I said no with my first. It was like *I* was just an incubator not a person, and *I* no longer mattered, ONLY the baby did-which is not right. I know several alternatives(now) that were not even offered as options to me.
My second I was listened too and asked for permission and they would actually do what I wanted to the best of there medical ability. You don't see many OB's running around a hospital looking for some pepermint scented oil fot the plug in oil burners the hospital had for aromatherapy for all patients to use (not just L&D, all floors had em) :)
but it still wasn't everything *I* wanted. This may sound dumb, but the one thing I wanted more than a water birth, was NO IV at all, not even a hep or saline lock, absolutely nothing.
That's why I had a homebirth this last time lol :) got everything I wanted. Everything.

Quoting doulala:

Quoting fairygirl_13:
  one I was in the hospital so I didn't have much say.

You do have say  (doesn't mean it will necessarily be easy to achieve, of course), all the more reason to prepare prenatally, right?

;-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NookBoookMom
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I did with my 1st 2 but it went out the window, BUT I was able to vocalize what I wanted, this time around im just going to remind my doctor what I want b/c even though I had a birth plan written out, things changed and so did some of the things on the lsit. so make one and adjust as needed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)