Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Hives?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:49 PM
  • 5 Replies
I have never had hives in my life. Until, a few months ago. I was 13 weeks and developed hives on my shoulders. I went to my OB who sent me to an allergist. All he could come up with was that I had a bad case of pregnancy hives.

I left the office and went home to take a shower. I noticed the hives had spread down my back and up my neck to my face. We bought benadryl and calamine lotion and slathered me up. The next morning, I woke up and they had spread across my belly and down my arms. The ones on my arms looked like large welts, while the rest were rough bumps.

I continued the benadryl/calamine regime every 6 hours, but still had full-blown hives for about a month. After that, they started to dry out, and after two more weeks, they started disappearing. I was told that they're fairly common, but everything I've read says they're pretty rare.

Has anyone else had experience with pregnancy hives? What did you do to get rid of them? How long did they stick around?
I'm 22.5 weeks now and haven't seen them since, nor did I have them with either of my other pregnancies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Larsbug
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:15 PM

never even heard of them!

tiffnic
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:39 PM
My doc didn't call them that but he said I had a skin problem that comes with pregnancy. Sure looked like hives. It was in the middle of my boobes & up my neck & even went down to my stomach too. Then I got splotches on my shoulders. I had just moved to florida so being out in the sun seemed to had made them worse. I just took cold showers & would try to exfoliate my skin with brushes & body washes & kept my skin moist with cocoa butter. Now I just have some small discolor still on my chest & under my chin but its not red & "hive"-like.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christiansmom44
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:45 PM
It sounds like you might have had PUPPP. Is that what your doctor said?

Quoting tiffnic:

My doc didn't call them that but he said I had a skin problem that comes with pregnancy. Sure looked like hives. It was in the middle of my boobes & up my neck & even went down to my stomach too. Then I got splotches on my shoulders. I had just moved to florida so being out in the sun seemed to had made them worse. I just took cold showers & would try to exfoliate my skin with brushes & body washes & kept my skin moist with cocoa butter. Now I just have some small discolor still on my chest & under my chin but its not red & "hive"-like.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffnic
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:48 PM
I don't know what that is but my doc didn't give me a name.He just said that pregnancy brings a lot of different skin issues but that's about it

Quoting Christiansmom44:

It sounds like you might have had PUPPP. Is that what your doctor said?

Quoting tiffnic:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:54 PM
Never heard of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)