Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Membrane Stripping

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:45 PM
  • 3 Replies

Has anyone had an experience with Membrane Stripping? In your opinion does it aid in helping the body to naturally labor? I will be 37 weeks when I have my next appointment and was considering asking my doctor to perform the membrane stripping but wasnt sure of its benefits. I am currently 3CM dilated and 80% effaced! Thanks. :)

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:47 PM

If your body is ready it can jump start things. But often it is just painful and useless. At 37 weeks, it really is too early to be trying these things. Baby needs to cook a bit longer.

doulala
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:48 PM

It has risks so we tend to want to make sure that we feel the benefits outweigh the risks.
If we must induce, this is one route.
Do you have complications (baby is ssafer outside than in)?

sflyingman
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 12:10 AM

No, no complications per say, just curious. I figured it was a method that helped you progress as time goes on, didnt think it was necessarily a procedure that immediately draws labor to happen. Was just interested in some advice on whether or not it is a general procedure that is done near the end of pregnancy, why it might be used and if it is beneficial or necessary. I remember having it done when I was reaching the end of pregnancy with my son, but my cervix was not progressing and I did have an induction close to 40 weeks so maybe that is why he performed it then...anyways thanks for the insight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)