Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Common names uncommon spellings

Posted by   + Show Post
Whats your opinion on names like Emmaleigh, Ayvah, Airynn, Maddisynn, Leigha.
Are they trendy? Cute? Confusing?
If you want to add more please do!

Edit:Oh and for the record my two girls now are Kiara (rhymes with tiara) and Leah. The one I'm expecting will be Myla. Pretty simple I think but even those have been butchered at doctors and stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 2:38 PM
Replies (11-20):
JamieLyn822
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2011 at 2:49 PM
2 moms liked this

Yup. :) I just don't want my children to have to deal with people spelling their names wrong or pronouncing them wrong their entire lives. How annoying would that be?

Quoting RiNKeasMom:

Just out of curiosity....which way are you considering "right" the common English spelling? =)

Quoting JamieLyn822:

My personal opinion - I hate that. It just confuses people and the child will have to deal with it their entire lives. Just spell it the right way. :)

Allie_kat1
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2011 at 2:49 PM
9 moms liked this
I feel sorry for the kid. Obviously the parents are short sighted and didnt think about how this was going to cause issues with people spelling/pronouncing the name as the child grows.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamahogan2
by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this
To me those are two different names anyhow, looking at the spellings I would pronouce them exactly as you did but I can see where the confusion lies . . . .for some ;)

Quoting KatieGirls2:

If they have a point I think they are ok... Like mixing two names after two grandmothers, a French vs English spelling etc... But I think things like Ayvah are just confusing and sometimes weird looking.... That being said spelled my dd's name Kierstin instead of Kirsten. I did that though because I hate when people mispronounce it curse-ten. Hoping it would help having the kier- like pier.....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2011 at 2:51 PM
3 moms liked this
I totally agree. It bugs me. I feel bad for the kid and I don't think it's terribly creative or unique to screw with the spelling of an otherwise fine name. But to each their own!

Quoting JamieLyn822:

My personal opinion - I hate that. It just confuses people and the child will have to deal with it their entire lives. Just spell it the right way. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allie_kat1
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2011 at 2:52 PM
I will say it is different if it is a spelling that is traditional in another country, or a family name. But just adding/changing letters to make it "unique" is only going to confuse people for no reason.

Quoting Allie_kat1:

I feel sorry for the kid. Obviously the parents are short sighted and didnt think about how this was going to cause issues with people spelling/pronouncing the name as the child grows.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
militarywife09
by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I have an Aubree vs. the traditional spelling Aubrey and an Addilyn vs. the traditional Adalynn. I like my ways better :P

My cousin is a Candis. I think it's better then the traditional spelling Candace. To me that's wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alliesaurus
by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 2:53 PM
I'm not a fan of uncommon spellings either. It's just confusing and difficult and they will have to deal with the issues that come with that their whole lives. I am Alison with one "l" and I hate it. I actually spell it with 2 even though my birth cert. & ID only have one. Drives me nuts. Back in elementary I was nicknamed "Ali". Not until middle school
Did it become difficult for people to prounce it "ally" and kept calling me "Ali" as in Muhammad Ali! Hence the personal decision to switch my name to Allison and go by Allie. I can't stand spelling changes and my names isn't even close to being a change as some!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ToriBabe1221
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2011 at 2:53 PM
Some, I think are cute. Some I think are ridiculous.
My first son is Arik (like Eric) and this baby will be Isaak =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RiNKeasMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2011 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Not that bad actually...hahaha.

The names I posted are my girls real names. Hubby is Irish immigrant, and wanted traditional Irish spellings. Maybe that's why it never bothered me...I knew they were right somewhere =)

Quoting JamieLyn822:

Yup. :) I just don't want my children to have to deal with people spelling their names wrong or pronouncing them wrong their entire lives. How annoying would that be?

Quoting RiNKeasMom:

Just out of curiosity....which way are you considering "right" the common English spelling? =)

Quoting JamieLyn822:

TrixyKing
by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 2:56 PM
4 moms liked this
Those names are so phonetic!
Its like a puzzle trying to figure out what the name is!
Its like, you're trying to make a boring name more interesting!
Just find a nice original name and call it a day lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)