Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Pros AND cons to home birth?

Posted by   + Show Post
I always hear about how amazing home births are, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever had a home birth and wished they could have had a hospital birth?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 12:31 AM
Replies (31-40):
ValRiggs
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 9:05 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Johnsmom2011:

Big_red05

I don't understand why you felt to be rude and call someone uneducated and unhelpful when they were just giving their opinion just like every one else here. Perezamberly was just asking for opinions; Jazz0201's just happens to be different from yours. Like her, I also had a very pleasant hospital birth with great doctors, nurses, and the peace of mind that if there was an emergency I would have immediate access to emergency care. It was an 18 hour labor and no one suggested a csection because they were in a rush and wanted to move things along.

Quoting big_red05:

Ok but this answer has no fact just your uneducated opinion so it isn't helpful to anyone...

Quoting jazz0201:

I just had my first baby and I was in the hospital and I would not change a thing. The risk of something going wrong is too great for me to consider a home birth. All hospital births are not horrible experiences. The peace of mind for immediate medical attention is more important to me than being able to eat during labor.

I agree with you.. It's VERY possible to have a very nice experience in a hospital.. Each person has their own experiences and opinions and although my own hospital experiences have not been good, I know many others who have had great experiences..

The reason I am partial to a home birth this time around for 'myself' is because I am planning a VBAC which most hospitals aren't to friendly with.. If you labor too long they want to section you, if they don't feel your progressing fast enough, they want to section you.. also getting an epidural can increase ur chances of another c section ( I have had 2 and am on my own with no help from anyone so I really don't wanna go there again).. So I'm planning for all natural.. in a hospital your stuck on your back which makes it more painful.. At home i can move around.. Get in the birthing pool... change positions.. labor on mine and babys time.. not doctors time.. For 'me' it's a better choice.. Of course if there were to be any signs of complications, ( I am having 2 midwives present) we will go straight to the hospital and do whatever is necessary.. But we are praying that doesn't happen..

I don't try to critisize anyone for their opinions and actually it's good there are ppl posting the good and bad about both home births and hospital births so the original poster can make the best decision for her.. It's very important to make this decision based on your own personal needs, and how you would like your own birth to go.. Not based off what everyone says they wanted for themselves.. Each of us have very different wants/needs and a very different outlook on how our birthing experience should be :)

big_red05
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I'm not saying she is un educated I said her answer was an un educated opinion, she has never looked into a home birth or had a home birth so she doesn't really know any helpful information I wasn't trying to be rude, but her post was a bit rude when she said "The peace of mind for immediate medical attention is more important to me than being able to eat during labor" because  home births are more then "being able to eat while in labor" and if she knew about home births she would know that, thats all I'm saying...thats the issue w these mainstream boards its ok to be rude when you are supporting a mainstream opinion but not when defending a non mainstream one :/

Quoting Johnsmom2011:

Big_red05

I don't understand why you felt to be rude and call someone uneducated and unhelpful when they were just giving their opinion just like every one else here. Perezamberly was just asking for opinions; Jazz0201's just happens to be different from yours. Like her, I also had a very pleasant hospital birth with great doctors, nurses, and the peace of mind that if there was an emergency I would have immediate access to emergency care. It was an 18 hour labor and no one suggested a csection because they were in a rush and wanted to move things along.

Quoting big_red05:

Ok but this answer has no fact just your uneducated opinion so it isn't helpful to anyone...

Quoting jazz0201:

I just had my first baby and I was in the hospital and I would not change a thing. The risk of something going wrong is too great for me to consider a home birth. All hospital births are not horrible experiences. The peace of mind for immediate medical attention is more important to me than being able to eat during labor.

EricaMac
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 12:42 PM

lol.  I'm a hospital person, I never plan to birth at home... and I still find it hilarious that you would actually insinuate that women choose to birth at home just to eat during labor. 

OP- Sorry I've never had a home birth, but I can say that because of complications I faced, I'm glad that I was in a hospital.  I think a birthing center would be a happy medium.  :)

Quoting jazz0201:

ValRiggs
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Quoting EricaMac:

lol.  I'm a hospital person, I never plan to birth at home... and I still find it hilarious that you would actually insinuate that women choose to birth at home just to eat during labor. 

OP- Sorry I've never had a home birth, but I can say that because of complications I faced, I'm glad that I was in a hospital.  I think a birthing center would be a happy medium.  :)

Quoting jazz0201:

I have to agree.. lol. regarding the eating at home during labor issue.. I think.. Not saying this for sure.. But I think that person said that because of what I posted.. I was talking about all the pros and cons in my personal experience and it just so happened I read an article stating there is no benefit to not letting a woman eat during labor.. that it actually causes more harm then good.. so I added that into my reply.. But by no means did I say that was the ONLY reason I am planning a home birth.. It's just a tiny added bonus.. I could really care less one way or the other but I do like knowing if I get hungry I can eat.. However.. my main reasons are the fact I don't want another c section and my hosp. isn't very VBAC friendly.. My OB actually suggested to me a home birth.. said I was a good candidate so I'm going to try it out.. I will have 2 midwives present and live only 5 min away from the hospital so if anything goes wrong I feel confident we will get to the hosp. in plenty time.. Everyone has their own personal preferences about what they are wanting and each woman should base her decision on what she feels is best for her!! But again.. I don't know of ANY woman who has home birthed or is planning a home birth that has based her decision solely on the fact she can eat during labor if shes at home LoL..

big_red05
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 1:20 PM

that isn't what I"m trying to imply.... but it is about being educated, if you choose to do a home birth you bneed to educate yourself on what it entails, because like I said before its more then "being able to eat during labor"

just because you wnat a homebirth doesn't mean you can have one, unless you do a un assisted birth with no midwife present the midwife will asses you on a few factors including risk.. someone who is high risk will not be eligable for a home birth...midwives have to go to school and are trained and know what to look for with high risk, and even arising complications during labor

midwives make a lot less money than drs, and they usally charge a flat rate so if they hae to spend more time with you or do extra visits they are doing itbecause you need it not to make more $$

I do have a sour  belly for ob's and drs in general, but its based off research and expirences I have had, so if I came off snarky and you were offended I'm sorry...

but most women DO spend more time designing their babies nurserys and picking out their childs going home outfit then they do looking into birth plans, c section rates, induction pros and cons, and other general info, they just say ahh its ok its my dr I trust them... and while its good to trust your ob (you SHOULD trust your ob) you should also research for yourself and verify what they say is accurate... because a lot of what they say is false or misguided..

when I wanted a vbac my ob said no its too much of a risk of uterune ruptre repeat c section is best... that didn't sit well with me so I researched and found the risk of uterne rupture is LESS then one percent, and the risk associated w repeat c sections between just general risks  of the surgery and the drugs etc was actually much higher... so it does come down to education

I do know drs have loans they have to pay off and I do know they have insurance premiums but still drs make quite a bit of money, and also like I said make more money then midwives... but midwives do it for the love of delivering babies which is a feeling I havn't ever got from an OB, but also not ALL ob's are bad not saying that ;)

Quoting Johnsmom2011:

Please stop making this about education and implying that women who give birth in hospitals are somehow less educated than you. It's extremely rude and ignorant to be so condescending about other's choices. Also, you obviously know nothing about the amount of money most doctors make. Most doctors spend their first 15 to 20 years, (keep in mind, they don't even finish their residencies until they're almost 30), in the field paying off their med school loans, and the rest of their careers scraping by because insurance companies take such a large cut of the money that patients pay.

And yes, they are concerned about being sued; you would be too if one instance of a patient perceiving an error of judgement of your part could cripple your finances and ruin your career. Don't look down so much on medical professionals and people who choose to count on them while giving birth.

Quoting big_red05:

Drs are not concerned for baby most are concerned about not being sued or not being on call to "deal" with your labor or simply making $$ because it is how they put food on the table and you know pay for those BMW's

If you read up on the facts there is really no reason a home birth is more dangerous or as you suggest "selfish" personal comfort is very important when giving birth son people can get the level of comfort they need in a hospital but most educated women know home is where they can be completely relaxed and in tune with their bodies which is very important for success of labor!!

Quoting coralbeth:

Your body was made to do this. But obviously there are numerous things that can go wrong. Don't be closed to hospital births. The doctors are there to monitor you with all the technology we have nowadays, and make sure everything ends well. Somthing women who have home births seem to not understand and just want everything to be "me me me". Doctors meanwhile are just concerned about the baby and not so much your personal comfort. That's the only real difference I see when moms talk about home vs. hospital. I personally think it's pretty awesome that so many women give birth naturally. But I am a wimp when it comes to pain. I don't think I could get through without the "drugs".

Snakecharmer76
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Just to add something to the whole 'eating during labour' discussion. The hospital policies of not allowing a labouring woman to eat during her labour has nothing to do with being 'mean' or 'petty'. It has everything to do with common modern safety practices with anasthetics. Hospitals have these policies in place in order to cover any eventuality which may occur. In a litigious happy society, hospitals have to try to protect themselves and while it can seem extreme, issues with patients aspirating during surgery does happen and they need to assure that they've taken all precautionary steps to avoid such an event.

Just more info for those who are trying to make a decision about their birthing location! :-)

Quoting ValRiggs:

Quoting EricaMac:

Quoting jazz0201:

I have to agree.. lol. regarding the eating at home during labor issue.. I think.. Not saying this for sure.. But I think that person said that because of what I posted.. I was talking about all the pros and cons in my personal experience and it just so happened I read an article stating there is no benefit to not letting a woman eat during labor.. that it actually causes more harm then good.. so I added that into my reply.. But by no means did I say that was the ONLY reason I am planning a home birth.. It's just a tiny added bonus.. I could really care less one way or the other but I do like knowing if I get hungry I can eat.. However.. my main reasons are the fact I don't want another c section and my hosp. isn't very VBAC friendly.. My OB actually suggested to me a home birth.. said I was a good candidate so I'm going to try it out.. I will have 2 midwives present and live only 5 min away from the hospital so if anything goes wrong I feel confident we will get to the hosp. in plenty time.. Everyone has their own personal preferences about what they are wanting and each woman should base her decision on what she feels is best for her!! But again.. I don't know of ANY woman who has home birthed or is planning a home birth that has based her decision solely on the fact she can eat during labor if shes at home LoL..

ValRiggs
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Quoting Snakecharmer76:

Just to add something to the whole 'eating during labour' discussion. The hospital policies of not allowing a labouring woman to eat during her labour has nothing to do with being 'mean' or 'petty'. It has everything to do with common modern safety practices with anasthetics. Hospitals have these policies in place in order to cover any eventuality which may occur. In a litigious happy society, hospitals have to try to protect themselves and while it can seem extreme, issues with patients aspirating during surgery does happen and they need to assure that they've taken all precautionary steps to avoid such an event.

Just more info for those who are trying to make a decision about their birthing location! :-)

Quoting ValRiggs:

Quoting EricaMac:

Quoting jazz0201:

I'm not really arguing with why the hospitals have this practice.. Just stating it's not completely necessary.. Yes patients aspirate.. but it's not super common.. and women who go into spontaneous labor that may end up needing a c section.. have more likely eaten that day.. And lots of women throw up during c sections on even an empty stomach and do not aspirate at all.. I just think its kinda of silly.. to deny women the right to food and drink... at a time when their body could really use the extra energy.. I do understand why hospitals do some of the things they do.. But I also believe they take things to such extremes that aren't exactly needed.. It's definitley by no means a deciding factor for choosing where to have a baby.. But it is a debatable topic none the less..

It also is very similar to the whole VBAC debate if you think about it.. Hospitals don't want to allow them because of that 1% possibility of a uterine rupture.. But a uterine rupture can also happen in a women with no history of a c section.. Also.. Out of that 1% that DO rupture.. Only 1 out of 2000 are considered catastrophic occurances meaning the baby could die or the mother may need a hysterectomy, etc.. But there have been no recorded incidences of maternal morbidity due to uterine rupture.. There are far more complications that can arrise from a c section which is major surgery.. VBAC is natural.. our bodies are made to birth babies naturally.. from our vaginas.. I am not bashing women who have to have c sections or choose repeat c sections.. I just don't agree with how hard they make it for a woman to choose natural child birth.. I know thats now what ur post was about but it is just a very frustrating topic to me.

kajira
by Emma on Dec. 28, 2011 at 2:22 PM

I had a home birth with my daughter, and I had zero complications compared to my traumatic, near death experience hospital birth with my first one.

I was scared of the no intervention if something went wrong, but I decided to trust my midwife, and my body - and we lived just a few minutes from the hospital, so the response time from a unit 1 for stabilization would have been almost as good as if i'd given birth in a hospital setting. (the first birth let me almost bleed to death before they noticed something was wrong... and I required two blood transfusions... while my midwife had her nose practically in my vagina after birth to make sure I wasn't bleeding an abnormal amount and focused on "me" instead of gushing over the baby like the hospital situation did.)

I find that the midwives care about both mom AND baby, and if baby's fine, they focus on mom. There's no reason to focus on the baby and take baby away from mom at birth like a lot of hospitals do. (mine took my son from me to wipe him down before they let me hold him - and everyone was looking at the baby, instead of me while I bled to death in front of them.)

Anyways - If I get pregnant again, I moved to a rural area where a home birth isn't very wise due to health concerns. (I'm RH negative, and a hep B carrier) and in this state, I can't get the HBIG vaccine, rhogam etc written for me by my natural path and the hep B vaccine and hbig shot are sensitive to temp changes and would have to be properly stored.

There's also no midwives with in 250 miles of me and my labors go fast.

So, in this situation, now that I know I can have a no-intervention birth with zero complications, I am pretty confident about just walking in while I push the baby out at the hospital to get the vaccines I require for both baby and I.

I would have no issues doing an unassisted homebirth - but I can't write my own prescriptions and finding a pediatrician who'd write them for me in this area would be slim to none. plus, there's no pharemecy's that would fill those here, so it's a conundrum that required my husband and I to talk about all the different options and my having to realize that a home-birth again isn't an option unless he can take a 2 week vacation at my due-date and we go live some where near a birth center until I give birth. LOL

which, who knows, that MIGHT be an option too... ^.^

Snakecharmer76
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Quoting ValRiggs:

Quoting Snakecharmer76:

Quoting ValRiggs:

Quoting EricaMac:

Quoting jazz0201:

I'm not really arguing with why the hospitals have this practice.. Just stating it's not completely necessary.. Yes patients aspirate.. but it's not super common.. and women who go into spontaneous labor that may end up needing a c section.. have more likely eaten that day.. And lots of women throw up during c sections on even an empty stomach and do not aspirate at all.. I just think its kinda of silly.. to deny women the right to food and drink... at a time when their body could really use the extra energy.. I do understand why hospitals do some of the things they do.. But I also believe they take things to such extremes that aren't exactly needed.. It's definitley by no means a deciding factor for choosing where to have a baby.. But it is a debatable topic none the less..

It also is very similar to the whole VBAC debate if you think about it.. Hospitals don't want to allow them because of that 1% possibility of a uterine rupture.. But a uterine rupture can also happen in a women with no history of a c section.. Also.. Out of that 1% that DO rupture.. Only 1 out of 2000 are considered catastrophic occurances meaning the baby could die or the mother may need a hysterectomy, etc.. But there have been no recorded incidences of maternal morbidity due to uterine rupture.. There are far more complications that can arrise from a c section which is major surgery.. VBAC is natural.. our bodies are made to birth babies naturally.. from our vaginas.. I am not bashing women who have to have c sections or choose repeat c sections.. I just don't agree with how hard they make it for a woman to choose natural child birth.. I know thats now what ur post was about but it is just a very frustrating topic to me.

I agree with your opinion that it does seem silly to not allow a low risk woman to eat during her labour, but I'm just stating the 'why' behind the policy. We live in a risk averse society and one that is litigious-happy and until we change our legal system to understand that risk is a part of life, I don't think we'll see a change in the way that modern hospitals approach risk management. Just like many people on CM have stated that even a 0.000001% chance of something bad happening is too much for them to consider, the hospitals (and insurance companies) are at the same trying to find an appropriate balance and not be sued out of existence. We must advocate for choice but we also have to change our attitude of suing anyone and anything the minute that something bad happens. As long as there are lawsuits being thrown every which way for whatever reason and billions of dollars being wasted in the process, we won't see much progress.

Oh and I get the whole VBAC debate. I'm in the process of planning my own VBAC. :-)

I disagree though in that I think that for some women, being allowed the freedom to eat can be a deciding factor for choosing where to have a baby. For some people it may be eating...for others it may be wearing their favourite slippers while labouring at home...whatever their reasons, that's fine.

Josie_P
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 3:57 PM

I'm having a home birth and have only heard positive things about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN