Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Acid reflux in third trimester

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 11:32 AM
  • 20 Replies

Okay, so I need some advice from you ladies out there who've experienced/are experiencing this.

Last night I had terrible acid reflux. I've had mild heartburn in my previous pregnancy and am having a bit again this time around but this was the first time that it was all out acid reflux. It freakin' hurts!!!! So my question is this: how did you handle it? I propped my shoulders and chest up with pillows but it's really uncomfortable trying to sleep on my side with my head raised up. I was debating whether to just move to the living room and prop myself up on the couch to sleep.

So uncomfortable and I still have 9 (ish) weeks of pregnancy to get through!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NookBoookMom
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 11:33 AM

here is a bump b/c I am having the same problem ! I even get heartburn from WATER!

NikkiDoll
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 11:34 AM
I've been having acid reflux the past few nights and it's been horrible. Pepto bismol worked great for me and I finally got some sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
koshka0427
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Zantac is the only thing that keeps mine at bay. I am just a couple of days ahead of you, 31 weeks 4 days

Snakecharmer76
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Thanks for the help! I didn't know about Zantac in my first pregnancy so I just popped Tums like candy! Now I have Zantac but I'm leary of 'overusing' it. I try to just pop one when the heartburn gets really bad (and it seems like just anything will kick it off these days) so I didn't last night. I think if it happens again then I'll give it a shot.

Yay for February babies! :-)

Quoting koshka0427:

Zantac is the only thing that keeps mine at bay. I am just a couple of days ahead of you, 31 weeks 4 days

Snakecharmer76
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Didn't think about Pepto Bismol. I'll have to pick some up so I have it on hand. Thanks!

Quoting NikkiDoll:

I've been having acid reflux the past few nights and it's been horrible. Pepto bismol worked great for me and I finally got some sleep.

kelsiey
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I drank milk and ate 2 tums everytime I got it. Didn't always help, but usually made it bearable.

kelsiey
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 11:48 AM

I would NOT take pepto bismol. It is a class D drug in the third trimester, considered to have great risks. It contains asprin. I would never risk taking it just to get rid of acid reflux when it could potentially harm the baby.

http://www.thelaboroflove.com/articles/is-pepto-bismol-safe-to-take-during-pregnancy

Quoting Snakecharmer76:

Didn't think about Pepto Bismol. I'll have to pick some up so I have it on hand. Thanks!

Quoting NikkiDoll:

Snakecharmer76
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll definitly check with my dr. before taking anything!

Quoting kelsiey:

I would NOT take pepto bismol. It is a class D drug in the third trimester, considered to have great risks. It contains asprin. I would never risk taking it just to get rid of acid reflux when it could potentially harm the baby.

http://www.thelaboroflove.com/articles/is-pepto-bismol-safe-to-take-during-pregnancy

Quoting Snakecharmer76:

Quoting NikkiDoll:

Snakecharmer76
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Interesting! I find milk (any dairy product) makes my heartburn flare up. I had four tums last night before heading to bed...like I said...popping them like candy! lol!

Quoting kelsiey:

I drank milk and ate 2 tums everytime I got it. Didn't always help, but usually made it bearable.

Rachelle91
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 12:39 PM
I will be entering my third tri next week. And I have also been getting bad acid reflux randomly no hearburn or anything.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)