• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

amnio

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM
  • 15 Replies

I was wondering if any of you have had an amnio done.  I have the choice of having one with this pregnancy.  What was it like? Did it hurt?  I'm not a big fan of needles.

Vicky

boy kissing mompregnant belly

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I've never had to have it done. Good luck!

BethPrice1345
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this
The risk of miscarriage, although small, was too big for me. I guess you should ask yourself if knowing of a birth defect would change anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JCHovey
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I had the option as well and I turned it down because the risk of miscarriage was too big of a risk for me even though it was small because the placenta was towards my back.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Pregnancy Ticker

girllovescamo
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:41 AM
No I didn't want to do one, or do the blood tests for downs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silka08
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM
This...

Quoting BethPrice1345:

The risk of miscarriage, although small, was too big for me. I guess you should ask yourself if knowing of a birth defect would change anything.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Toomsie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I would never ever get it done....there's a very small chance of having a miscarriage - just not worth it. They can check what they need to check with other tests.

KaRaBaSsEtT
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM
I would NEVER ever choose to get one. I can't think of one good reason to even think about it.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anne131
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM

My friend had one done and she said "it was not unpainful" if that makes sense.  I guess that means it was a bit uncomfortable.  She said it was "weird" and that she could feel the needle going through different layers into the uterus.  I think the risk for miscarriage nowadays is pretty small because the sonograms are so good that doctors can be careful about where they're going with the needle.  I am 35 and pregnant for the first time and I opted out...tempting as it is to get reassuring information, I didn't want to deal with the discomfort and even a small risk.  Also, I would not get an abortion if anything were wrong.  I wish you luck whatever you decide.  I think you should ask yourself what you would do with the information you'll get and take it from there. 

JamieLyn822
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM
I wouldn't do it unless there were some life or death situation that required it, and that's pretty unlikely. No need to go poking around in there for no good reason.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babygomez
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM
I have never.

Bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)