• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stomach bug while pregnant :-(

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:22 AM
  • 10 Replies

Hello!  I have a question for any preggors out there that have had the stomach bug while pregnant.  I am 20 weeks pregnant with my 2nd, and my daughter just got hit with a nasty stomach bug that has been going around.  We have been able to avoid it for some time now, but she started throwing up this morning.  I'm thinking it's inevitable that I will get it.  Anyone know if it is dangerous to the unborn baby?  Or is it just something I have to tough through?  I am nervous as anything, trying to avoid it, but taking care of my little girl.  It's Sunday, so I can't call my OB.  And I was never sick when I was pregnant before.  Thanks for reading!

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
militarywife09
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:30 AM
I had one when I was pregnant with DD 1, and it was terrible, but baby was just fine. I threw up all day, I ended up busting a blood vessel in my eye, I was so sick lol.

As long as you keep fluids in you, and don't get dehydrated, you and baby will be OK.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollinicole
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM
I don't know but you can always call the OB floor and the nurse could better answer that question
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Larsbug
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM

baby will be fine...just make sure you can still take your prenatals, stay hydrated, and go to a BRAT diet if needed... and make sure to get lots of rest when you can. You can take up to 2000 MG of tylenol in 24 hours which will help any fever over 102...if your fever gets higher than that you need to call your doctor. Doesn't matter that it's the weekend, call the office number and I guarantee you they will either have the number for the on call doc on the message or an answering service will answer.

laceycolston
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:34 AM
what she said however i got it twice first time was on easter...i just lost a few pounds but do keep drinking lots of water i also found that Gaterade helped Alot:)

Quoting militarywife09:

I had one when I was pregnant with DD 1, and it was terrible, but baby was just fine. I threw up all day, I ended up busting a blood vessel in my eye, I was so sick lol.

As long as you keep fluids in you, and don't get dehydrated, you and baby will be OK.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JCHovey
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I just recently had a stomach bug and its not harmful to the baby if you can at least keep water down and don't get dehydrated. Good Luck!!! Oh and labor and delivery told me I could take pepto bismal.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Pregnancy Ticker

Toomsie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I got food poisoning (bad banana) and it turned out ok - the doctor said he's pretty much protected against it and that I had to stay hydrated.

kelsiey
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I had it, if you get it just keep hydrated, and it shouldn't bother the baby at all.

Kelsiey Elizabeth

calcalmommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:29 PM
I've gotten stomach bugs with these last two pregnancies... It really sucked, but it didn't hurt the boys. Try to hydrate as much as you can now and if you do get it, during if you can. I hope you don't get it!
HeatherNicole79
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Thank you so much for the replies!  We've made it through 12 hours with DD, and she seems to be feeling better.  So, I'm hoping if I do get it that it will be over in 12 hours.  I figure i'll most likely get it, though, because it's hard not to be around it when all DD wants is her mommy!  My poor baby.  But, my fingers are still crossed that I'm escaped it!  I feel better after reading your responses, though. 

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:50 PM

It won't harm your baby unless you get dehydrated. So do your best to take sips of fluid if you can if you start having trouble. Load up on fluids now too. Get as much rest as you can, and sanitize everything. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)