Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Birth Story of Lillyanne Harley!!!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

On November 30th 2011 I was officially 13 days past my EDD and despite wanting to avoid induction if at all possible my insurance, medicaid, informed me that if I did not go ahead with the induction I would be Against Medical Advise and they would not pay my hospital bill when I did have her. So we went in for our induction at 9 am. Pitocin was started as well as IV fluids and contractions kicked in right away. I was already 3cm dialated when we arrived. I convinced the staff that even though they wanted me constantly hooked up to the monitors I was still going to get up and use the birth ball, squat bar and all my techniques for pain relief. Once nurse spent quite a while trying to convince me to just get an epidural as it would be easier on us all. I said hell to the no and asked for a different nurse. My second nurse was freaking awesome. She was totally on board with my birth plan and even snuck me bottles of water when the other nurses werent looking. lol.

After three hours on the Pit my contractions were coming 5 minutes apart and they were very manageable. I took a nap and watched some tv without too much discomfort. They continued to increase the pitocin and by 7pm that evening my contractions were 3 minutes apart and I was 5cm dialated. I got out of bed to take a shower and squat for a while to encourage baby to move down into the pelvis and get my dialation moving along. My doula arrived shortly after this and my contractions were getting pretty uncomfortable. I was focusing and breathing through them and managing to talk and laugh in between still. I was pretty proud of the way I was handling labor. I asked to not be told my progress during any further cervical checks for fear I would get discouraged and ask for pain meds.

I sat in a glider chair at 9pm to rock through the contractions, the flat surface and rigidity of the back really helped my back labor. My doula started some counter pressure on my hips as I got on the bed in hands and knees position. At this point it was 11pm and they checked my progress. They didnt tell me as requested. The contractions changed suddenly. Transistion had hit with full force. I started to vocalize and rock my hips back and forth while on my hands and knees, the contractions were suddenly a minute apart.

I was nauseous and hot and cold and wanted nothing more than for someone to squeeze my hips duing the contracitons, that really helped for some reason. Very suddenly I practically climbed the back of the bed and yelled that she was coming that I was pushing. The nurses freaked and kept telling me not to push that I couldnt be ready as I was still only 5cm at 11pm. It was now 12am. They thought there was no way I could be ready to push yet.

My bag of waters exploded all over the nurse! Lol, I wouldnt let her check me as I was pushing and couldnt bear the thought of her hand in there as well as my baby's head. After my water broke, Lilly began to crown!!!

Everyone was shocked, they had to rush to find my doctor. I told the nurse she had better get ready to catch and she said she couldnt, that this was her first delivery!!! OH MY GOD was I mad! My awesome doula elbowed her out of the way and told me to push when I was ready that she would catch!

I felt the contraction coming on and took a deep breath and beared down with all I had. My doula had me pause right as her head began to slip out and I completely avoided a tear! Lilly's head was out now! What relief I felt as she came forth out of my body, with one more push she was in my doctors arms, who had slipped in at the last moment.

They put her on my chest immediatly and she self attached to my breast! What a beautiful wonderful moment. Then she peed on me. LOL! Still beautiful though. She nursed untill the cord stopped pulsing, then they clamped it and her daddy cut it. They took her to weigh and measure,, 7lbs 1oz and 18.5 inches long! Dec 1st 2011 at 1:01am

My shining moment was over then as I started to hemmorage. They got the placenta out quickly to stop the bleeding, they litteraly stuck her entire hand into my uterus and pulled the placenta out. It was excruciating. I passed out. When I came two they were slamming a bag of fluids through my iv and Daddy had Lilly. My blood pressure slowly went back to normal and they finally let me eat. lol.  After they got a normal blood pressure reading they gave me Lilly to nurse again and she has pretty much been attached ever since!

Sorry it took so long to post we have been preoccupied with little miss Lillyanne! Best of luck to all you ladies, maybe Ill be back in a year or two for round three!

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Avetay
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Congrats on a wonderful birth!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kylansmommy09
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:03 PM

First off CONGRATS!!! love her name!!! im so sorry you had to be induced :(  im glad your hemmorage got taken care of! and congrats on the nursing!! my first DS self latched right after birth but with DS 2 had to have emergency c and they nocked me out so i had to wait about an hour to feed :(

Toomsie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Congratulations!

connorsmama06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:46 PM
Congrats
Devious103102
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Congrats! Glad to hear things went well during labor and they were able to clear up the hemorrhage quickly!

silka08
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Congrats! Good job mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
staciababy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM
Since you have so much criticism for nursing staff, next time just do everyone a favor and deliver at home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Halfpint01
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Beautifull!

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Congrats!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Good job Mama!!! Way to stick to your plan and get through it even with a crappy staff. I can't believe that nurse! You must have a great Doula! Sounds like you did great too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)