Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need sleep...can't go one more night without it!!!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:59 PM
  • 15 Replies

the last few weeks I have only been able to get about 2-3 hours of sleep at night. I have sleep problems without being pregnant so my OB said taking Unisom every night was fine... well it seems it's gotten to the point where even that isn't working anymore. I have tried sleepy time tea and it kept me awake because I had to pee every 20 minutes, I have tried a warm bath and then going to bed, I haven't tried any of the "natural" stuff like valeriun root or melatonin...I am out of ideas... I wake every 45 minutes or so because my hips hurt so bad and then have to pee, can get back to sleep and then sleep for about 45 same thing and if I'm lucky maybe fall back asleep one more time.

My 2 year old would also greatly appreciate any ideas since he gets the brunt of my grumpiness... poor baby.  :0(

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Have you tried Benedryl? If nothing else is helping it's worth a shot. Also, are you using anything to help stay comfortable over night, like a pregnancy pillow or body pillows? My hips killed me before getting my snoogle.

Larsbug
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM

benadryl and unisom are the exact same ingredient... and I don't use a body pillow because we have a tempur pedic...when I tried a body pillow with it I ended having to go to the chiropractor to get adjusted because it messed up my hips worse than regular....thanks though!   :0)

Quoting mnt_2_b_mommy:

Have you tried Benedryl? If nothing else is helping it's worth a shot. Also, are you using anything to help stay comfortable over night, like a pregnancy pillow or body pillows? My hips killed me before getting my snoogle.

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Unisom comes in 2 forms- doxylamine and diphenhydramine. You didn't specify which you used so I assumed you were using the more common doxylamine. :-)

How do you like your tempur pedic? I slept on one for a few nights and hated it but I thought I'd be so comfortable! I love the chiro anyway, but that sucks you don't have a way to be comfortable. :-(

Quoting Larsbug:

benadryl and unisom are the exact same ingredient... and I don't use a body pillow because we have a tempur pedic...when I tried a body pillow with it I ended having to go to the chiropractor to get adjusted because it messed up my hips worse than regular....thanks though!   :0)

Quoting mnt_2_b_mommy:

Kaydence2010
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Try sleeping sitting up. I had to do that when I was pregnant with my dd
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Larsbug
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:14 PM

oh yeah sorry diphenhydramine.... normally I LOVE our temper pedic conforms to every part of your body but it does take some getting use to. DH is a sheriff and carries the typical 40 lb belt everyday so he needed more support for his back which is why we initially got it and it's great for that...just not great for me right now lol

Quoting mnt_2_b_mommy:

Unisom comes in 2 forms- doxylamine and diphenhydramine. You didn't specify which you used so I assumed you were using the more common doxylamine. :-)

How do you like your tempur pedic? I slept on one for a few nights and hated it but I thought I'd be so comfortable! I love the chiro anyway, but that sucks you don't have a way to be comfortable. :-(

Quoting Larsbug:

Quoting mnt_2_b_mommy:

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM

try the other Unisom then. It's the one that is more commonly recommended for morning sickness but it might help you sleep since it's a sleep aid, and not diphenhydramine which you maybe are just used to now. Good luck!

Larsbug
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:51 PM

do I just take the 25mg that it comes in or can I take 2?? the dyphenhydramine my OB said I could have up to 50 mg...just curious...willing to try anything lol

Quoting mnt_2_b_mommy:

try the other Unisom then. It's the one that is more commonly recommended for morning sickness but it might help you sleep since it's a sleep aid, and not diphenhydramine which you maybe are just used to now. Good luck!

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:55 PM

eek...I am trying to remember what my OB said with my last pregnancy. If I remember right he said to take 1/2 tab in morning and a full tab at night, that was for nausea though. Not sure about the dosage for sleeping, I'd guess it's safe to take as directed on the bottle?

Okay, I just read online to buy the 25mg version and take 1 30 minutes before bed.

Quoting Larsbug:

do I just take the 25mg that it comes in or can I take 2?? the dyphenhydramine my OB said I could have up to 50 mg...just curious...willing to try anything lol

Quoting mnt_2_b_mommy:

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Larsbug
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

thank you! I hate having insomnia anyway but when your preg it makes it much worse!

Quoting mnt_2_b_mommy:

eek...I am trying to remember what my OB said with my last pregnancy. If I remember right he said to take 1/2 tab in morning and a full tab at night, that was for nausea though. Not sure about the dosage for sleeping, I'd guess it's safe to take as directed on the bottle?

Okay, I just read online to buy the 25mg version and take 1 30 minutes before bed.

Quoting Larsbug:

Quoting mnt_2_b_mommy:

mem82
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I don't have any good advie but I hope you feel better!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)