• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Evening Primrose Oil?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:34 PM
  • 5 Replies

Anyone used this and had success??  Did you take it orally, vaginally, or both? How soon after taking it did you start going into labor? And how long did your labor last? Also.. How soon after you started taking it did you actually start effacing and dilating?

Sorry so many quesitons lol.. I've never taken it before.. My midwife was here earlier for our home visit (planning a HBA2C) and I'm 35 weeks tomorrow.. But she said I'm measuring around 36 weeks. She said I can start taking The evening primrose oil next week vaginally.. She suggested poking a hole in it before inserting it and to get it as close to my cervix as possible.. also said the oil can be used to massage the perineum. She said I could really go at any time.. But at my last clinic visit I wasn't dilated or effaced or anything.. Which is good cuz I still have a little bit to go.. I'm just curious how soon after taking the primrose oil do you start to see the effects.. I've read several online posts of women saying it worked within hours.. to two weeks.. Soooo I'm just wondering what everyones experiences are here.. if any of you have tried it. :)

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:44 PM

From what I understand it's not meant to induce labor, but to help soften the cervix which can make labor faster/easier for some women. I took it orally from 36 weeks on and went into labor at 40 weeks 4 days. When I got to the hospital I was about 3-4 cm and mostly effaced, but who knows it the EPO had anything to do with that. I doubt I'll take any this time.

kt2babies
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:10 AM
I start it orally at 34wk insert vaginally at 36 weeks I have had all my kids between 36-38 wks. It will NOT induce labor it helps to soften the cervix
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momkaribg
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:18 AM
So it helps even if you just take it orally?

Quoting kt2babies:

I start it orally at 34wk insert vaginally at 36 weeks I have had all my kids between 36-38 wks. It will NOT induce labor it helps to soften the cervix
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KeraRicelle
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:19 AM
I never heard of this? Can u explain it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ValRiggs
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Lol I'm aware it doesn't induce labor.. But by softening/ripeining the cervix it allows babys head to engage further which helps with dilation and thus can start labor. So in and of itself.. no it doesn't start labor.. It just helps your body prepare.. I am going to start it tomorrow (today) orally.. two 500mg capsules a day.. then next week I will start using it vaginally.. Thanks for all the advice ladies :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)