Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

stabbing pain 2-3 inches above belly button???

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2007 at 11:34 AM
  • 5 Replies
Last night while trying to sleep I had this stabbing pain above my belly button, in a band that wraps all around my back.

It isn't constant, but it comes on quick, lasts for 5-10 seconds only, then goes. And it is PAINFUL!

But when I'm standing/sitting, I feel fine. No pain. I'm just exhausted from no sleep.

Has anyone here gone through it? Any ideas on possible causes? My guess would be something got pulled and the muscle now aches, but I don't understand the frequent stabbing feeling - it left me in tears each time it happened! :(

LilypieExpecting a baby Ticker

Lilypie3rd Birthday Ticker

by on Nov. 25, 2007 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
3BabiesNaSailor
by on Nov. 25, 2007 at 11:42 AM
is the pain more prominent on one side or is it straight above your belly button? I pulled my round ligament in my tummy and I have been having pains for weeks on the top right side of my belly. If I overwork myself during the day... when I lay down at night I will have small braxton hicks contractions starting from the location of the pulled ligament (on the right side) and then the contraction works its way around my tummy and ending in my lower back (almost in my butt!). You could have definitely pulled a ligament which could be causing annoying braxton hicks contractions. I would mention it to your OB at your next appointment. I dont think there is much you can do about the pain... I just usually try moving around until I can get comfortable and it usually goes away within a half hour or so. Good Luck! Hope this helps!

(¯`·._.·[ ÂMãÑÐÄ ÀIIèñ ]·._.·´¯)

Group Administrator - SPD Mom's & their Sensational Kids

cjvinge
by on Nov. 25, 2007 at 11:45 AM
i dont know what it is but i know what u mean mine starts at my belly button i know it hurt ur baby will be here soon, couple more weeks good luck
nurse2_b
by on Nov. 25, 2007 at 11:56 AM
Hi,
After reading your post I sat for a min. and thought about what it is not... It does not sound like round ligament pain, and it does not sound like typical BH contractions, or contractions.  But, when you say that the pain wraps around into your back, it does make me think that they are little contractions.  Even BH contractions can come on fast, and only last a short duration.  I would make sure you stay well hydrated today and try to get some rest!  You are almost 38 weeks... your body could certainly be getting ready for the big event! 
~J
http://ultimatebirthplan.googlepages.com/
refinada_20
by on Nov. 25, 2007 at 3:58 PM
Could be your gallbladder.  Stabbing pain that wraps around your back that comes in attacks.  It is very common in pregnant women.  Try googling it.
Tempted
by on Nov. 25, 2007 at 3:59 PM
How far above your belly button and is it to one side or the other? I had to have my gallbladder removed after I had my son because it is common in pregnancy to get gallstones.  The pain was HORRID and radiated to my back, almost where my bra would lie.  Call the doc if it doesn't go away.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)