Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

whats the differance between....

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:51 AM
  • 11 Replies
a midwife & a doula?? thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Doula's are there for support and help. A midwife does the same thing but a midwife does appts and delivering of the baby. Both can do so much more but this is a short idea of what they do.

mommyandalinza
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM
thank you so much. Sorry I know it was prob a stupid question but wasnt sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Endo.girl
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:08 AM
No question is a stupid question. There are only stupid people and those are the ones that give the svarcastic or nasty replies. A midwife is a rn that delivers babies and basically deals with obstetrics, a doula i beleive is there to support mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM
Bump for doulala!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JamieLyn822
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

A midwife is a trained nurse who specializes in maternity care/delivering babies. A doula does not have nursing qualifications, they are there for support and encouragement during labor. That's the gist of it.

lillucky8
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Quoting kmqw229:

Bump for doulala!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Not a stupid question at all. This is who we learn and understand things. I know I have asked things and think "Oh they may think that is a dump questions. They should have know that" but really we can't know everything. It is amazing what you can learn. Heck I have had three children and still learning and changing my ways. I love learning and growing constantly.

Quoting mommyandalinza:

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM
I agree with Raeann!

I am on my 3rd pregnancy and still have lots of questions!

Quoting Raeann11:

Not a stupid question at all. This is who we learn and understand things. I know I have asked things and think "Oh they may think that is a dump questions. They should have know that" but really we can't know everything. It is amazing what you can learn. Heck I have had three children and still learning and changing my ways. I love learning and growing constantly.

Quoting mommyandalinza:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovelyLauren55
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Quoting lillucky8:

Quoting kmqw229:

Bump for doulala!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks!

I don't entirely agree with the above, exactly...    I will explain--
  ;-)

Midwives *might* hopefully do some of the same things, but it can depend on which type of MW you hire (and the personality, too).
And midwives are not always nurses.    They nurse-midwives are more likely to provide care under the medical-model (like an OB).  

So if you prefer a particular kind of care you can choose from an OB, family practice doctor, or various kinds of midwives.

Ideally a midwife will practice under the midwifery model of care.   This is more evidence-based, prevention, personal care, etc.   Generally a safer and happier route.   ;-)

A (birth) doula is a labor supporter mainly (but also helps prepare the mom-family prenatally as well as early postpartum).    The doula helps the mom (and family) to be more comfortable and safe through the labor, and helps to offer information, too.      That is especially important I feel, because many times something will be suggested without offering all the options & alternatives, etc.    The doula can encourage the mom to ask about the risks-benefits/alternatives, for example.   Moms tend to want to avoid unnecessary risks but may not be aware of what those might be (especially during labor~).

And the doula will be the (only?) consistent attendant, often more than the spouse, lol.    Nurses come and go & change shifts, they are strangers (which affects labor~~).    And the doctor/midwife will come in less frequently generally, often more at the end of it all.      The (same) doula stays the whole time, even if labor lasts for days.  

So much more to say about this all, bu that is a little start!
;-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)