Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What pump did you get? Any advice about buying one? Help!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM
  • 9 Replies

I need help! I don't have a clue where to start when it comes to getting a pump! I don't know if the expensive ones are worth the money, and I don't know when I should buy one! Before baby? right after baby? any advice?

CafeMom Tickers

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Elyssa414
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM
Medelas are the best! I have a Harmony (manual) and a pump in style, (electric) LOVE them both!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-mrs.mamma-
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Medela Pump in Style, it's a dual electric pump. it's AWESOME! I've had mine since my DS1 was born, so it's still going strong 3 yrs and 2 babies later!

Carlie: Blessed Wife to Jon (09.05.09) & Mamma to Jaxon (11.19.08) and Talon (12.01.11).

Proud Group Mod in: Love & Marriage  and  Pregnancy!

LiveByTheSun
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Electric pumps are way better, correct?

lillucky8
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:16 PM
I have a medela and love it. Its a double pump, electric, awesome! My best suggestion is to price shop and wait for a deal, we waited tilba dale at babysrus and used a coupon and got a pretty decent price. You can also usually rent them from your local hospital
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kathislove80
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:27 PM
I just bought the Harmony myself. I heard good things about it, it's the same pump my best friend bought. I haven't purchased an electric one. The manual one I bought was only $35, on sale at Target. I wanted one so BF can participate in feedings. I might buy an electric one for when I go back to work. If I do it will be the Medela

Quoting Elyssa414:

Medelas are the best! I have a Harmony (manual) and a pump in style, (electric) LOVE them both!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Egwene1
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:35 PM

The Medela is pricey but absolutely worth it I bought a cheaper brand and it was a waste of money some hospitals and medical equipment places will rent them so you can give it a try before investing (they are completely sanitized) also check with your insurance a few of them will pay for a pump

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Quoting LiveByTheSun:

Electric pumps are way better, correct?

It depends on what you need it for.   If it's for regular pumping because you will be separated for work or school... then, you do need a good quality double electric.   Ameda, Medela or Hygeia.

If you only need it for occational separations, or because you want to have a freezer stash, etc.. a manual pump works great.   Avent, Medela or Lansinoh are good manual brands.

I actually prefer manual pumps, I get way more milk and they are less hassle, IMO.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Oh, and as to when to buy.   It can be good to have it on hand early on.   I had to run to walmart at midnight the day my milk came in with #2 because he was too sleepy to nurse and I was in PAIN!    But, you don't want to start giving bottles or pumping regularly (unless you're building up a work stash) until you have nursing really well established  (generally between 4-6 weeks).

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
_muffin_
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:44 PM
My sister Giotto the Medela Pump in Style and she used it for her 2 kids, my cousin borrowed it for her 2 and I used it with my 2 boys. It finally died after 10 years so I went our and bought another for this baby. I tried a cheaper one but it died after a few months. I think if you will be doing much pumping it's better to spend the money and get a good pump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)