• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

FIRST PAP SMEAR?!?!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:50 PM
  • 7 Replies
so this is going to be my first pap smear does it hurt? On a scale of 1-10 and how long does it last? And what do they use? Is it going to hurt more that I'm pregnant?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JamieLyn822
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this
No it doesn't hurt. It's a little uncomfortable when they insert the speculum. But it doesn't last long and they just swab your cervix with a long q-tip.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NanaMomo
by Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:08 AM

When I went for my first follow up after finding out I was pregnant I had my first pap.

I was so scared, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. It felt like it took a few seconds. Didn't hurt but was a little uncomfortable.

You'll be fine :)

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Doesn't hurt, just some mild discomfort when the speculum is inserted. The doctor will either use a brush (looks like a mascara wand) or a broom (looks like a sweeper broom), or a spatula (no description needed lol). Or a combo of the three. They swirl them around your cervix to collect cells. After that he/she will do a manual exam, using a couple fingers to feel around inside and also check your ovaries. It's really simple and over and done with in a few minutes. I've never found it to hurt at all, pregnant or not. I've assisted with many and only occasionally does the woman seem uncomfortable.

IepurasRoz
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 1:47 AM

i felt nothing it was done in 2.5 seconds so fast i didnt even think shed started so it depends on the doctors. id go to a female because males are slower since they like to take a longer peak. bastards!

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:24 AM
Huh?!? I find female drs are much slower than males. I assist with paps everyday and there is no "taking a peek" going on. Seriously when you're a dr, nurse, whatever a vagina is like an elbow. Nothing special about it!

Quoting IepurasRoz:

i felt nothing it was done in 2.5 seconds so fast i didnt even think shed started so it depends on the doctors. id go to a female because males are slower since they like to take a longer peak. bastards!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:36 AM

They don't usually hurt. They can be pretty uncomfortable sometimes. It just depends on the doctor. I've had doctors who did it so fast and gentle that I didn't think they had started yet. It can hurt a touch more if you are swollen from the pregnancy. 

They will insirt a speculum into your vagina and open it. 

Then they will put in a swab, like a big q-tip. That's usually it. 

lilmissashhleyy
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:42 AM
I had my first one last year I was so scared lol then I had one and was like wow really there's no fuss... Sex hurts worse sometimes lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)