Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my birthstory from 12-11-11 (very long)

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:29 PM
  • 4 Replies
1 mom liked this

It was dec 10.  I was having another miserable night of not sleeping and feeling like i was going to throw up.  about 11 oclock I had a sharp stabbing pain on my right side... just on my right side.  I have had this before and I think it was the baby resting on a nerve.  So i got to the foot of my bed and held on to that as I tried to rock it out on my birthing ball.  that didnt work.  i then got on my knees and rested my chest and head on the ball... that didnt work.  I handed my cell phone and told my dh to call the OB because i could hardley speak through the pain.  as I had known they were going to say, he told me to head to L&D.  so I headed out with my husband and my poor little 2 year old to the hospital.  as my husband and I were kinda upset because we knew again they were going to send me home.  Like i had said I had the pain before.  So we got there and they checked me and I was at 3... had been at 2 for 4 or more weeks.  so i was suprised.  they put the belts on me and no contractions just what the nurse said looked like uterine contractions because it was going up but didnt look like contractions at all.  so they said i was free to snack and get drink and they would check me in an hour.  this was at 1130... a half an hour before my due date.... I had posted on here letting you guys know i was at L&D!  Checked me an hour later... I was now at 4! okay sweet we were progressing... still no contractions though.  they told me most likely that i would have the baby be late morning.  so we called my best friend who came down for my last birth and my mil  and told them i was in labor.  ( have a weird thing for only having labor at night... last time my water broke at 330 am) my mother in law came and got my son and my friend was about 3 hours away so she started on her way to town.  and my nurse told me they would check me again in an hour.  so my friend is speeding on her way to town and me and husband are taking works and coming back every ten minutes to get back on  the moniters for another 5 or ten minutes then we walk again.  so an hour passes by and i get checked again and Im at 4 still.  I was kinda irritated getting checked everytime but it was nessessary to see if I was actually in labor since I had no contractions the whole time but i was progressing... now i had stopped.  so I had three opitions.  1) start pitocin and start my labor 2) break my water and possibly most likely get pitocin or 3) go home and hope labor stats on its own.  We waited on the decision till my friend got there.  me and my husband alredy had decided the 3rd wasnt going to work for us.. I was so sick of being sick all the time and not getting any sleep.  so we asked the nurse to check to see my OBs partner would break my water.  I really didnt want pitocin but i figured i was alot further then i was last time.  my OBs partner agreed to come in and soon as he was done delivering a baby at the other hospital.  so I layed down and tried to get some sleep.  So about 630 my nurse wakes me up and tells me the doctor is in.  so he had asked me some questions like what was my labor like last time and so on and what my plans were.  so I had explained that last time my water had broken at home and pitocin was started as soon as i got there and I had to have an epidural last time because i wasnt progressing because my body could relax.  and then I had to have internal moniters and it was a huge chaoctic mess.  so the doctor agreed to break my water and informed me of the procedure and what the likely outcome were (which was great because he looked at my birth plan and thats what I wanted them to do... last time i wasn't given choices and wasn't informed of how it was going to affect my labor.  so once he broke my water my contractions started almost immediately and were full force.  so we started walking laps.  only needing to be checked every couple of hours.  I had gotten to 5 almost 6 by 11 but i was already 80 % effaced.  i had still yet to ask for any sort of pain relief.  my mother in law and father in law came to chat with us a little and my mil even walked a couple laps and talked abourt her labor expirences and asked how i was doing.  but when they checked me again I wasnt going anywhere anymore.  they said they would wait til they got a call back from the doctor about starting pitocin.  i wasn't thrilled but they said they would start me off slow and using the lowest dose unless they had to push it up.  once they started the pitocin my contractions became more regular.  which was good.  now i was only able to be in my room though.  my nurse came in her name was Jane.  She told me she read my birth plan and had said she worked in L&D for 15 years and told me that she wasn't going to ask if i wanted pain relief... If i needed it I would need to ask her.  My nurse kept my husband informed of what stages of labor i was in and was helping my friend and husband on how to keep me distracted and breathing.  they got me an ice back had me sit on the birthing ball.  they did everything they could possibly do... after trying to coax me out of the bathroom, i kept feeling like i needed to pee but couldn't and everytime I moved I had another contraction and had to sit back down.  my nurse kept telling me what to do instead of giving me opitions which I thought was nice, it kept me distracted and not wanting to crawl into a ball on my bed.  which was really all i wanted to do, and cry.  lol.  as soon as I started getting contractions back to back thats when i started to have problems.  i could no longer breath or focus through contractions and I was very irritatable.  This was about the time my husband and my friend were getting in my face trying to get me to breath.  my husban goes "breath like this, who who who he" and my friends telling me a different way.  and then my husband goes and touches my face.  probably not the smartest thing to touch a woman whos in labor... I actually threw swings at both of them and after that it was just the nurse or husband telling me how to breath (thank god they dont hold that against me.  i was in intesnse pain and they all knew it)  At this point the nurse told me that I was going to start having some "weird" things going on that I wouldnt have noticed with my last labor because of my epidural.  If only i knew half the things were normal like my shaking and what not, all of which were completely normal but i hadnt' noticed in my previous labor. after that it was just a lot of cussing.  tell I got to about 9.  then I started asking the nurse to ask the doctor for a c section and just knock me out and take the baby out of me already.  all which were telling me I didnt want a c section.  I was convienced at this point i truely did want one. and told the nurse i need pain relief now.  so they offered fetnol to take the edge off the contractions, or the epidural which they had no idea if it would actually work by the time I was ready to push.  so I gave into the fetnol which at the time I felt did nothing at all.  so the doctor came in and I begged him to just knock me out completely... he convienced me that even if i wanted a c section i was going to need an epidural and it might even work.  I was at 9 and a half, I was just about to ten before I got my epidural.  they had my husband sign for it.  my husband thought i was going to be super angry at him for letting me.  I had made him promise during our Lamaze classes that he wouldnt let me get one after 8 because i would be almost there.  but he signed it for it.  As the doctor went to get the anethesiologist the nurse was trying to get me on my hands and knees.  i was not going to have that happen.  so I refused until right before the anetheologist came in.  and now they couldnt get me to sit up for epidural.  I didnt want to move.  everytime i moved i had another one, and i was having contractions right after another ( i was still on pit but still on the lowest dose possible, which i was happy for)  now this lady who was to do my epidural was down right mean.  she got really push with me to just sit up and let her do it and how she had other patients to get to.  She said the girl next door was begging for hers so i needed to hurry up or i wasnt going to get one at all.  my husband got snappy with her and told her then to go next door and he would get me up and the other lady could get hers.  she has her assistant go next door and talk to the patient.  when the assistant comes back and tells her that the other patient has decieded to wait longer this really makes her angry.  well the nurse and my husband finally get me up and the epidural goes in without any problems and i get to lay on my side and try to get some rest.  I dose in and out and chatted with my nurse and my friend.  when they finally woke me up I was just about ready to push I then decieded I wanted a teddy bear... so my husband leaves to go get me one and had to resort to a small beanie baby bear my son had left in the car because the gift shop was closed!  so he comes up and they call the doctor in.  the nurse then grabs a sheet and starts tying knots on the end of the blanket that she rolled up... wierd right???  but the doctor comes in and about 20 minutes of pushing and the nurse gives me one end of the blanket and act like im playing tug of war with her.  this really helped push.  i still labored for 16 hours (thats how long my first one was) and pushed for an hour... my last one ws 2 hours of pushing.  and nothing was cooler then hearing my husband tell me it was a girl.  we didnt find out the sex on this one so that was really cool.  now I had a boy and a girl.  Reyna Mia Adrianna (sorry leaving last name out) was born at 3:44pm they put her right on my chest and cleaned her up.  I bawled... which i didnt remember me doing with my first, but my husband said I did... i have the proof with this one in pictures.  they weighed her at 8lbs 11oz.  and was 20 and 1/4 ins NOONE expected her to be that big... we were actually having bets in my early labor.  this is were my complications came into play.  they stitched me up and gave me my little girl to feed.  which she was very eager to the breat and took breat feeding like a champ.  but when they checked on me again I didnt have any blood on the pads.  they found out that the baby being as large as she was had put alot of stress on my uterus.  so after the baby was born its like my uterus just went lazy... this might be tmi to a lot of people, but some people here had asked about my complications.  so im going to say it.  my uterus was just pooling up with blood.  so they had to massage my stomach to contract.  if anyone hasnt had this done it can be really really painful... i almost liked my contractions more then this.  I had to have this done every twenty minutes or so.  I remember at one point my husband telling me to breath and was trying to help do lamaze breathing and my nurse told him it wasnt even worth it because it tends to be worse then labor pains.  i missed my little girls first bath.  my husband and my brother got to see it.  my brother had a video which only broke my heart because none of the nurse had the common curtiousy to even ask if i wanted to see it... i know i was having a lot of pain and complications but would it have been so hard to even put me in a wheel chair and take me to the nursery?  I wasnt even allowed to have my daughter in the room without someone else being in there because i couldnt get up and walk and i was on a lot of pain killers for the pain.  which caused complications.  One nurse said she had to ask when i could get pain killers again and was suppose to come back in and get my daughter.  she knew my husband left she was in there when he left... and she never came back.  so i had to call the nursery and the nurse that came in yelled at me for having my daughter in my room.  so my husband went out and yelled at the nurses because he came in and my friend had just shown up and i was crying.  so he wasnt happy with them.    I am really upset with my laboring expirence.  I wanted so badly to go all natural and looking back on it im not really sure if i would have been able to do it natural again if i had the chance.  I just wanted this labor to be a little different since it was my last one.  it was kinda depressing.  I am still grieving over not being able to do it natural like i wanted to but trying to remember what I got out of it.  I have a beautiful litttle girl who is great at nursing and is very smart... she coos and likes to talk ALOT!  She had some issues with holes not closing in her heart.  she has PDA, PFO, and VSD.  we saw the cardiologist last month and they said it almost sounds like a regular newborns heart murmur and so they are probably closing on their own.  Im sorry it took so long to get my story up.  i hope to have pictures of my little girl up soon.  (and i promise as crazy as i sounded for punching my husband and friend, im not all the crazy lol) 

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mem82
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:16 PM

*hugs* I'm sorry it was such a rough labor. 8(

I had a traumatic birth with my third so I understand what you mean by grieving. I can't wait to see pics!

misslady80013
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM
Yes, sorry to hear that. Can't wait to see pics of your little one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wife2jeff
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM

YAY!!! CONGRATS - you did it:)  Please remember to post pictures of your new little one.  I am so excited to see her. 

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Sorry your birth didn't go exactly as you planned. Congratulations on your baby girl!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)