Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

home remedies to induce labor... what worked for you?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:28 PM
  • 23 Replies
My best friend is due today and wants the baby out. She's tried exercise and spicy foods, but still nothing. Any tips?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
passiondivamama
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Nothing helped baby came when he was ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
megpie224
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Sex!

Pandapanda
by Amber on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Nothing will work unless baby is ready.

With my first, I walked a mile a day for three weeks, gave up on ym due date, and he was born two days past his EDD. With my second, I ate spicy food, drank cumin seed tea, had sex, went for a walk, ate spaghetti, did squats, bounced on my birthing ball.. nada. I went into labor two days after I stopped trying.

The sooner she gives up, the sooner that baby will come. I swear by this method.

doulala
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:35 PM

She is only at the mid-point so might explain to her that her baby & body may still need some time, maybe even a couple of weeks.
If she tries to force she is adding unnecessary risks to herself and to her baby.   How far does she want to take that?

doulala
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Quoting Pandapanda:

The sooner she gives up, the sooner that baby will come. I swear by this method.

And the sooner she realizes that baby isn't supposed to come yet is also an important realization, too.

I do feel that some things might work, but still add risks.

Birth is a process that probably lasts about a month or more, when
you think of how the baby works his/her way into position, mom's body
prepares with the uterus thickening at the top and thinning at the
bottom and the cervix prepares itself to dilate for the final pushes in
this process. It is such an amazing, divine plan and in this day and age
so easily disturbed—possibly as never before. I think induction,
possibly in any form, can disrupt this plan, interrupting the baby's
process of positioning and getting ready to be born. As Carla Hartley
says, "Birth is safe, interference is risky."

Jan Tritten, mother of Midwifery Today
magazine

mrsptrski
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM

With my second my only hope in life was to VBAC. I went in for a final ultrasound and my OB said we need to do a Csection in the morning...I said if I can start labor tonight will you let me try VBAC? she said ok...I went to the mall and walked for an hour, drank black and blue cohosh tea, ate fresh pineapple core and piched the accupressure point at the webbing between my pointer and thumb, went to the hospital the next a.m. and was contracting and dialated to a 3....

Also you could make her this: apparently 300 babies have proved this one(check out the website)

Ingredients

• 3 medium sized eggplants
  • 1 cup flour
  • 6 eggs, beaten
  • 4 cups fine Italian bread crumbs (seasoned)
  • Olive oil, for sautéing
  • 8 cups marinara sauce (recipe below)
  • 1/2 cup Romano cheese (grated)
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
  • 1 1/2 pounds mozzarella cheese (shredded)
  • 2 cups ricotta cheese
  • Scalini's Marinara Sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons garlic, chopped
  • 3 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 8 cups tomatoes (fresh or canned), chopped
  • 1 cup onions, chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/8 cup fresh sweet basil, chopped
  • Pinch thyme
  • Pinch rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • Cooking Directions

After you wash the eggplant, slice them into 1/4 inch thick slices. You may choose to peel the eggplant before you slice it. However, you may want to leave the skin on since it contains a lot of vitamins.

Place the eggplant slices on a layer of paper towels and sprinkle with a little salt, then cover with another layer of paper towels and hold it down with something heavy to drain the excess moisture. Let them sit for about an hour.

Working with one slice of eggplant at a time, dust with flour, dip in beaten eggs, then coat well with breadcrumbs. Sauté in preheated olive oil on both sides until golden brown.

In baking dish, alternate layers of marinara sauce, eggplant slices, ricotta, parmesan and Romano cheeses, until you fill the baking dish, about 1/8 inch from the top. Cover with shredded mozzarella cheese, and bake for 25 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

Scalini's Marinara Sauce

Lightly sauté the onions in olive oil in large pot for a few minutes.

Add garlic and sauté another minute. Add tomatoes and bring sauce to a boil, then turn heat low. Add remaining ingredients, stir, cover and let simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.

Recipe courtesy of John Bogino, Scalini's Italian Restaurant, Smyrna, Ga. (scalinis.com)

Recipe Summary

doulala
    by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Did your doctor discuss risks-benefits & supervise?   

Quoting mrsptrski:
    Pandapanda
    by Amber on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:41 PM

It has nothing to do with that particular recipe. The herbs in it are supposedly what triggers labor, usually via stomach/intestinal cramps from such a heavy meal.

Quoting mrsptrski:

With my second my only hope in life was to VBAC. I went in for a final ultrasound and my OB said we need to do a Csection in the morning...I said if I can start labor tonight will you let me try VBAC? she said ok...I went to the mall and walked for an hour, drank black and blue cohosh tea, ate fresh pineapple core and piched the accupressure point at the webbing between my pointer and thumb, went to the hospital the next a.m. and was contracting and dialated to a 3....

Also you could make her this: apparently 300 babies have proved this one(check out the website)

FarmGirl2B
    by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:43 PM
    She is supposed to get gel in the morning, but she was hoping for something a little more fun.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    Pandapanda
    by Amber on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Which gel?

Quoting FarmGirl2B:

She is supposed to get gel in the morning, but she was hoping for something a little more fun.

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)