Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it true?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:00 PM
  • 10 Replies

Is it true that your cravings mean you are lacking in a certain nutrient? (example: crave milk, lack calcium) if so what am I lacking when I crave soda? I have been craving soda like crazy lately. I have been trying to drink it too often, but I just crave it like crazy.

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
traceem
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:05 PM

It can be, but not always.

schultzal
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Sometimes. With soda, it probably isn't due to a lack of a vitamin or mineral.

doulala
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you are probably dehydrated and not getting enough protein.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Could be the sugar... generally that's either because you're low on energy, or lacking b vitamins... or both!   Wheat germ and nutritional yeast can help with the b vitamins

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
lillucky8
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:28 PM
Not always. I always say i must be lacking something when im really craving something i dont usually eat
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aadensma
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:29 PM
I am trying to get a lot of protein everyday but it's so difficult. I get maybe 50-60g a day when I need to be getting 80-100g. I bought some slim fast to put into my milk to help me get more protein. Eggs hurt my stomach so they aren't an option....it's frustrating =\ I am so scared I'll end up with pre e again.

Quoting doulala:

Sounds like you are probably dehydrated and not getting enough protein.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Great to hear you're aware of that!    That is a huge part of it.     Yes, more protein would be better.     I will guess that Slimfast might be sugary, though---  Do you feel like you need help or are you good?
Do you like dairy (yogurt, cheese), nuts & seeds (you might keep trail mix handy everywhere you go), try to eat more beans even meat if you can.       

:-)

Quoting Aadensma:

I am trying to get a lot of protein everyday but it's so difficult. I get maybe 50-60g a day when I need to be getting 80-100g. I bought some slim fast to put into my milk to help me get more protein. Eggs hurt my stomach so they aren't an option....it's frustrating =\ I am so scared I'll end up with pre e again.

Quoting doulala:
Larsbug
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:33 PM

not necessarily....

Aadensma
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM
I love yogurt and cheese (I actually dislike milk but have been choking it down a few times a day lol). I am okay with nuts but I get tired of them really fast. I like some trail mix but it depends. What kind would you recommend? I'll look at the sugar on the slim fast, I don't think it's too bad. I don't eat much for sweets so the sugar I get is in the healthier stuff and bread. I do eat meat, though not always with every meal. I try to make up for that with the milk.
Quoting doulala:

Great to hear you're aware of that!    That is a huge part of it.     Yes, more protein would be better.     I will guess that Slimfast might be sugary, though---  Do you feel like you need help or are you good?
Do you like dairy (yogurt, cheese), nuts & seeds (you might keep trail mix handy everywhere you go), try to eat more beans even meat if you can.       

Quoting Aadensma:

Quoting doulala:
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Lots of great options with Greek yogurt these days~   much more protein there.
I like to create my own versions of trail mixes:  buy a bag of raw unsalted almonds, low-salt cashews & sunflower seeds, sometimes walnut bits, dried goji berries & raisins, other nuts and seeds or dried fruit as you like (dried fruit increases calories & carbs of course), and sometimes I will toss in a handful of chocolate chips if I start to get tired of the straight nut & seed mix...    

I have been soaking almonds overnight in a jar of water.    They get plump and are delicious.   Also they are easier to digest which means the body will get more nutrients, too.    But throw them into the blender with a splash of fresh water and you can make "almond creme" which you can add to yogurt or in smoothies, in cereal--  especially oat meal, anywhere you want.   

Speaking od Smoothies, I made protein smoothies a lot with my first pregnancy and would tend to get 110 or more grams of protein with that extra help.  
They had tofu & dried milk (which I now won't eat), frozen fruit (any kinds), yogurt, I think sometimes spirulina for green health...    what else.     Well you can do a lot with smoothies!  ;-)

Hope that helps...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)