Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

I was in shock!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:37 AM
  • 44 Replies
I am 33 weeks pregnant and I was talking to a supervisor for the drop in center next door. He said congratulations to me and I said the same back because his wife is expecting their first child also, which is a boy too. She is due in May.

I asked have they decided on a name and he said "We really like Diego for a first name, but I think it will be seen as weird by other people for a white couple to name their son Diego."

Needless to say my mouth fell open and I was speechless for about 30 seconds. I finally said "If you two love that name, then give that name to your son, who cares what others have to say about it. I love that name."

My question to you is, will you take what others might say about what you name your child when choosing a name? I feel that is ridiculous! I am black and am debating on naming my son Kelan or Karter because I love them and don't care what others will say. My name is Keshawnah and have had been told a few times in my life that my name is ghetto.

Am I different or do most people care what others think? How do you feel?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
akrogers13
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this

we keep getting told who to name our son after lol... we wanted his middle name to be dh's middle name, but now we're thinking of just giving him a random name... k not random, but not named after anyone lol.. our dd isnt named after anyone so i' thinkin we'll do the same here... we take every name into consideration, but it's ultimatly up to us and i dont care what others say about it in the end... if they dont like it then good thing it's not their kid!

2bfines
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this
I think as long as the parents fall n love wit the name that's all that matters. Who cares what others think, u can't please every1 n the world.
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:42 AM
2 moms liked this

I name my kids what my husband and I want to name them....I don't really care what others think.  I did have my mom tell me one of my girl's name was masculine...needless to say, we still named her it.

SugarCookie10
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't really care what anyone says about our children's names. That's why the name will be secret till birth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's more "acceptable" for other races to use "white" names, than for whites to use more ethnic names.   Two of the names on my list are Aurelia and Zola and my mom and husband keep saying they sound too ethnic and "we're not Italian or African"...  grrr...   I think there's always the fear of looking like you're "stealing", or taking what isn't yours... like you have no claim because you don't have the heritage.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
lilly_girly2000
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:46 AM

i do care a little, though i would never base my whole decision on it if i really loved the name. i want to avoid having my kid picked on for have a name that doesn't fit their ethnicity. it's not that i personally care it's just to make their lives a little easier. i think it's silly that we have to worry about this at all. 

lilly_girly2000
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM

i loove italian names so much.. very good chances i will use an italian name

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

I think it's more "acceptable" for other races to use "white" names, than for whites to use more ethnic names.   Two of the names on my list are Aurelia and Zola and my mom and husband keep saying they sound too ethnic and "we're not Italian or African"...  grrr...   I think there's always the fear of looking like you're "stealing", or taking what isn't yours... like you have no claim because you don't have the heritage.  

CafeMom Tickers
Safrianna
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

My mother is constantly calling me with names and I hate them all... And she hates all the ones I love. I'm going to name my baby whatever fits. I don't care what anyone else says. I like names that are different.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Quoting lilly_girly2000:

i loove italian names so much.. very good chances i will use an italian name

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Well, the funny thing is that Aurelia is Spanish, and my husband IS part portugese... so a spanish name should be totally acceptable!   Except, our kids apparently turn out totally white.   Maybe my little girl will get her daddy's dark hair!   :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
IncognitoOne
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:49 AM

No one liked my oldest two's names except DH and I. They got the names we picked out anyway....and if this baby is a boy, no one likes the name he will be given, but he'll get it anyway...lol.

Colton Lee, Keaton James, and (if boy) Kingston David.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)