Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Contractions and cramping at 34 weeks?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hey everyone! I would like to know if anyone has gone through this or can give me advice on what to do...

To start off I will be 35 weeks on Sunday. So, last week I was getting strong and constant menstrual like cramps from 4am- 12pm and then off and on throughout the whole day. I literally felt like I was starting my period. That night, my SO and I went to the hospital to do a tour of the labor and delivery. By the end of the tour, I kept feeling what I thought were braxton hicks but they started getting close together. We decided to check in so they hooked me up to monitors and sure enough I was contracting every 1-3 minutes accompanied with the menstrual cramps. I ended up staying the night there hooked up to an IV and they gave me muscle relaxers to stop the contractions. They checked me 3 times to see if I was dilating and gave me the protein test and an ultrasound... (NO dilation, cervix was long, and the test came out negative). So basically it wasn't labor, only preterm contractions. They finally released me the next day and put me on bed rest. I haven't done much on my feet and I've been out of the house only a couple times.

The other night I started getting contractions every few minutes again so I took a bath to try and relax my muscles and it definitely seemed to help. Then yesterday I started cramping and contracting again even though I was laying down but it wasn't constant. Then after going to bed last night, i woke up a few hours later... again with strong and constant menstrual like cramps just like last week. Changing positions wouldn't help, nothing. I'm still in bed and now the cramping it mostly off and on but I am contracting (which i need to start timing). They aren't painful, just really uncomfortable but along with the contractions I get that menstrual like cramp along with it. Yesterday when I was contracting every few minutes they were mostly mild but about every 10-20 minutes I would get a strong one. One of which I could barely breathe because I felt like it was hitting my lungs.

My SO is gone probably for another 4 or 5 hours because of work. This baby NEEDS to stay in at least until after my baby showers. I will have everything i need and she will be better developed. I don't know if I should call my doctor and tell him what going on. Has this happened to you?? What was the end result?? (BTW ... I saw my doctor on Monday and he said there would be a 4% chance of having the baby in the next week or 2 weeks since I tested negative on that protein test which determines if your labor is about to start.)

Ughh not sure what to do at this point... 

by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Larsbug
by Laura on Feb. 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM

quite honestly the only thing you really can do is relax, take it easy, drink lots of water, and keep that baby in as long as you can.

pacificamom
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 5:13 PM

^^ agree. I had severe cramps and contraction with my last one and my water ended up breaking at 34 weeks.

lovemygirls02
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 5:15 PM
I went through this and still had my baby girl at 39 weeks. I am now 28 weeks pregnant with contractions but as long as they can stop them you'll be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sama2Mamma
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 5:16 PM
You sound like me! I'm 34 weeks I will be 35 weeks Saturday. I'm 3cm dilated 40% effaced. I'm on bedrest and procardia. I have contractions EVERY day! Some times 3-4 min apart.
Preterm contractions don't really dilate like actual labor contractions..they are just ANNOYING. If your in a lot of pain then I would prob go to l&d to get checked out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperMom2433
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 5:19 PM
Take it easy and drink plenty of water. Maybe send your hubby to get you some magnesium sulfate pills which help control the contractions. They are natural and over the counter. I took them along with procardia during my pregnancy with my son because of preterm labor that started at 21 weeks. Anyhow, I made it to 39 weeks and gad to have my water broken because of high blood pressure that wouldnt subside and contractions that went on straight for 2 days. Good luck and keep that baby baking!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)