You'll see your doctor a lot during your pregnancy so it's important to choose some who you like and trust.
Most pregnant women have between 10 - 15 prenatal visits.
You'll typically see your doctor once every 4 weeks during your 1st and 2nd trimester. During your 3rd trimester, you'll typically be seen once every 2 weeks until 36 weeks and then weekly until your baby is born.
Here is some info on what happens at prenatal doctor appointments:
- 1st prenatal visits are often scheduled when you're 8 weeks pregnant
- During most visits, you'll have your weight and blood pressure recorded, you'll have blood tests and have your urine checked, the doctor will examine your belly and listen to your babies heartbeat.
- Your doctor should always be gathering information from you and sharing advice, education and counseling. You should also be discussing tests and procedures.
- Between 15-18 weeks, you may have a screening to see if your baby's at risk for Down syndrome or spina bifida.
- Between 16-20 weeks, you may have an ultrasound to check for any abnormalities and verify the baby's due date. You can usually also find out whether you're having a boy or a girl.
- Between 24-28 weeks, you'll be given a glucose screening test to check for gestational diabetes.
- During your 3rd trimester, you'll be checked for group B strep, anemia, sexually transmitted diseases as well as any other test that your doctor thinks you may need based on how your pregnancy has been progressing and based on your health history.
If everything looks normal, you're doctor will instruct you to call when you're having frequent contractions. If this doesn't happen by 42 weeks, your doctor will probably induce labor since health risks rie at that point.
For more info:
- Check out the many posts on prenatal doctor appointments.
- Start a post to share your story or to ask for advice.
- Visit the Group Homepage to see what Moms are talking about right now.
Please share any information that you have on prenatal doctor appointments in the replies below!
This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.