Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Maternity Clothes 101

Posted by   + Show Post

Maternity clothes can be very comfortable and fashionable!

For tips on what to wear and where to shop:

Please share tips on what to wear and where to shop in the replies below!

by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Replies (21-25):
makeupmommy2B
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm only 8 weeks pregnant but when I buy meternity clothes do I buy the size I was in regular clothes before I was pregnant or how does it work? please tell me

Cafe Jenn
by Head Admin on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Quoting makeupmommy2B:

I'm only 8 weeks pregnant but when I buy meternity clothes do I buy the size I was in regular clothes before I was pregnant or how does it work? please tell me

Yes, that's usually how you buy them but you may want to try some clothes on before deciding for sure. I found different brands of pants fit differently for me.

brittany208
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AthenaGrace:

Quoting anxiousschk:

I've had good luck with Motherhood and Target.  

I didn't have to be super dressy, I worked in a school.  

My only issue with Motherhood is that their stuff is thin, so sometimes you need to wear a tank top under it.  

Target pants haven't worked for me, but I did well with bootcut pants at Motherhood (and skinny pants too).  

Well, I only wear skirts or dresses, and only ones that are at least as long as my knee and cover my whole cleavage(particularly difficult with pregnancy breasts!) I haven't had any luck with Motherhood, and the one dress I found at Target claiming to be knee-length is actually mid-thigh.

With skirts, can you just buy non-maternity skirts a couple sizes bigger and wear them under your belly? I don't wear skirts that often, but that's what I do with pants.

With shirts, can you just find a high-cut tank to wear under them?

I try to buy as little actual maternity wear as possible, since its marked up so much and worn for such a short time. I have a pair of maternity work pants and one actual maternity shirt (it was on clearance at target and looks super cute both with a belly and without) and that's it.

EvilAsh
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I got a pair of jeans from Walmart for 16 bucks. They're the most comfortable things I ever wore in my life. Glad I got them and didn't waste money! 

For shirts, I just wear plus-size tops. I recently got these jeans, 4 shirts, and 2 pairs of leggings for less than 100 bucks.

brittany208
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Yes. Also, try to keep in mind how rapidly your figure is changing when buying clothes and see if you cant find clothes that not only will fit you well now, but will continue to fit for awhile (ie stretchy lol).

Also, I try to buy as little actual "maternity" clothes as possible, and find non-maternity things in bigger sizes or in cuts that will work. Maternity clothes are super marked up price-wise and you can only wear them for a short while. I bought one pair of maternity work pants, but have never bought maternity jeans, bc i can just buy normal jeans a few sizes up and wear them under my belly, for example.

Of course maternity clothes may fit the best, and for some women, they are very much worth it. But for me, I try not to buy them more than I have to when I can find non-maternity things that work.

Quoting makeupmommy2B:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)