Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Have you worried a lot about how much weight you are gaining during pregnancy?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 4:23 AM
  • 26 Replies

Pigging Out During Pregnancy Won't Make Your Baby Stupid

Posted by Mary Fischer on March 1, 2012 

Whatever happened to the whole "eating for two" thing being ok during pregnancy? Because it seems like it's sort of a faux-pas to chow down while you're expecting these days, and that's just no fun at all.

Of course, I guess the whole over-indulgence thing can catch up with you eventually, resulting in you gaining an obscene amount of weight by your ninth month, and making it virtually impossible to easily take those pounds off after your baby arrives. In that regard, it's probably smart to try and stick to a healthier diet.

But the good news is that even if you do slip a bit and give in to your favorite food cravings during pregnancy, new research shows that pigging out won't have any effect on your baby's cognitive development or IQ. Basically, you're not going to make your baby stupid because you decided to have a few cupcakes. So you might as well just go for it.

And judging from my own personal experience with pregnancy weight gain and the level of my kid's intelligence, there must be a lot of truth in this research. I haven't been shy at all about the fact that I gained 50 pounds of extra love while I was pregnant with my son. I tried as hard as I could to stick to a healthy diet, but a few times a week, pizza and cookies just seemed to call my name.

Fifty pounds is definitely above the amount of weight that doctors recommend that you should gain, so if there were any link between a baby's intelligence and over-indulging, then my kid probably should've turned out to be a bit less bright. And not to get all braggy or anything like that, but my little guy is definitely a smart one. He loves reading and writing and has an incredible imagination, and he even speaks like a little adult -- using words like challenging, actually, and disappointed. It's pretty obvious that those cookies and pizza that I jammed down my throat on more than one occasion only altered the size of my post-baby clothes, not my little guy's IQ.

What you eat during pregnancy and how much weight you gain is pretty much dependent on how healthy your eating and exercise routine is during that time. But at least now you can rest assured that you aren't harming your baby by indulging in a cupcake or two.

Have you worried a lot about how much weight you are gaining during pregnancy?

by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 4:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KristiDLee23
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 4:29 AM
Nope, its the one time i find it totally acceptable for me to indulge. Not pigging out, but im great alllll the time otherwise so when i have a craving im gona let myself have it. 33 wks and gained 25 lbs so far. Ill have that off in no time after babys born. Gained 60 with my son, it was horrible but luckily it dropped right off within two months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babbymyself
by on Mar. 11, 2012 at 3:09 AM
I am 19 weeks w. Bby #1 and gaind like 1 pound:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Mar. 11, 2012 at 4:12 AM

I didn't know we were supposed to be worried about making our babies stupid. I was more worried about making them unhealthy. Especially giving them things like diabetes and heart disease. 

I didn't worry about it with my first pregnancy because everyone said I would lose the weight while nursing. I gained about 60 pounds. I finally lost it after 2 years of very hard work (never lost a pound while nursing) only to get pregnant again right away. I worked really hard and only gained 28 pounds while I was pregnant. Now ( months after having baby) I am pounds heavier and can't seem to stop gaining. 

traceem
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2012 at 4:13 AM

A little. I was already overweight before I fell pregnant this time around. I haven't restricted my food though, I have just tried to not each too much junk food. I am certainly not going to jeopardise baby by not eating enough!

eykelley
by Liz on Mar. 11, 2012 at 4:19 AM
Yes. I lost 20 lbs before I got PG and I've gained almost 1/2 back. I try to eat healthy but apparently Im not doing so good. I'm trying not to freak about it and just get healthy, and whatever I gain, I'll lose after baby gets here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jakesmom323
by on Mar. 11, 2012 at 5:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I think everyone "Eats for two" with their first one, then the second one comes along and they'r like, "WOW" not doing that agian! haha.  I went from 128 lbs. to 194 lbs! It took a lot of dedication to get that flub off and then as I'm working out at the gym, I'm soooo bloated. Yup, it had begun again. haha.  I track all my calories on an App on my phone and eat healthy. With some wonderful indulgences here and there though;)

MedievalMama
by on Mar. 11, 2012 at 5:28 AM
1 mom liked this

My only concern with weight gain during pregnancy was just that I wanted to stay comfortable, and if possible not gain it too fast. I decided early on when I was dealing with bad morning sickness and losing weight rapidly because of it, that if I was craving something I would indulge myself. Because eating a whole pizza is better for me than not being able to eat anything at all or vomiting it up directly afterward. So far, my pre-pregnancy weight was 138, I am 38 weeks and 5 days pregnant and my current weight is 164.8 lbs. Considering I lost 18 lbs to begin with, that makes it a total weight gain of almost 45 lbs! Anyhow, I'm just glad I'm nearing the end, my double chin is getting annoying lol

MommyAddie
by on Mar. 11, 2012 at 8:20 AM
I was nervous about it. I had lost a significant amount of weight a couple years ago. I assumed when I got pregnant I'd end up just packing the weight on. But I'm at 25 weeks and only gained 11 pounds do far.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3rd2bedue
by on Mar. 11, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Quoting KristiDLee23:

Nope, its the one time i find it totally acceptable for me to indulge. Not pigging out, but im great alllll the time otherwise so when i have a craving im gona let myself have it. 33 wks and gained 25 lbs so far. Ill have that off in no time after babys born. Gained 60 with my son, it was horrible but luckily it dropped right off within two months.

I dont see 60lbs comming off in two months no way chick! heehee, thats insane weight loss that makes no sense at all!!! sounds good ....but too good though! ^_^ 

CafeMom Tickers
3rd2bedue
by on Mar. 11, 2012 at 8:31 AM

This is pregnancy #3 since 2009 for me. I was just really trying to get my body back when i found out. I still have inches of fat really just around my tummy. With my other pregnancies i got fat on my back and on my thighs like crazy, my arms also,,,so gross and i think it was my fault how i ate! This time around i exercise daily and eat only healthy and low calorie, the growing baby needs vitamins not calories and definitely not fast food!^_^!

bow down

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN