Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not getting my way... :(

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:10 AM
  • 8 Replies
Im extremely sad right now. Lol. I shouldn't be, I should be thankful. But, I guess my hormones have decided I'm gonna be upset about it, so here it goes. DH and I got PG with DS when I was 18. We had our own apt but had very little money. Almost everything we got was given to us or bought for us. 1/2 the rime it was what was cheap, ie: got a stroller and carseat from Big Lots for $75 but it wasn't something i liked.
We couldn't afford the stuff we wanted. And I always felt horrible about it. I never got to experience buying baby stuff.
Well, last year DH and I decided not to have anymore kids. We had DS and that was enough. I am only 24 and my GYn wouldn't tie my tubes, which was good cuz we did decide after all to have another one. Lol. This is our last baby and I was SO excited to buy baby stuff that we wanted. But after doing finances it looks like I won't be able to get things I REALLY wanted. So, I've been surfing craigslist for nicer stuff. My friends keep telling me to just register for this stuff I want for the baby shower, but I'm not sure I will. I wanted to buy all the big stuff on our own and register for the littler stuff (bath stuff, clothes, bottles, etc) that way people will be ok buying stuff. The economy is bad and I know some people can't afford big things. I told everyone that I am ok getting used stuff too. So if they find a really cool bouncer at a used store, that's TOTALLY ok with me. :) but it's a lie. :( if it was the design I want, then I would be ok. But I'm keeping that to myself.
I know it only matter that I have what we need and not the design, I was just SO excited to finally get the NEW stuff I wanted.

Am I being a horrible person? I have not told anyone else thing. No family or friends and I am keeping it to myself. Just needed to vent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
JasonsMom2007
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:15 AM
Register for it. I had several people who wanted to go in together and buy me the bigger things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I know exactly how you feel. I was that way about my nursery. I pieced together a very affordable nursery for my first daughter. It was cute but I wanted a matching, coordinating, adorable nursery with my second. We ended up in a small 2 bedroom apartment for our second daughter so I didn't even get a nursery at all. So I decorated a wall of our bedroom for the baby instead. It took me a few months to get over it. By the time my baby was born I didn't really even care anymore. Hopefully the same can be true for you. I really am so blessed, so many people have helped us out by loaning us baby gear and clothes for both our babies. It would be nice to do it the fun way for ourselves though.

Pandapanda
by Amber on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:04 AM

I think sometimes it's okay to be petty like that. I know I certainly was. But what it comes down to is having the basics. Do you really want to spend an extra $50 on something you like over what's cheap, when you could put that $50 towards a savings for baby, $50 towards a romantic getaway, $50 for a rainy day?

eykelley
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:42 AM
No. Which is the only reason I'm accepting it. But, whenever I see the things I want, it's hard. I'm avoiding baby stores for now. Lol.

Quoting Pandapanda:

I think sometimes it's okay to be petty like that. I know I certainly was. But what it comes down to is having the basics. Do you really want to spend an extra $50 on something you like over what's cheap, when you could put that $50 towards a savings for baby, $50 towards a romantic getaway, $50 for a rainy day?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gacgbaker
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 4:31 AM

I don't think you are horrible at all!  It's really hard to see all that cute baby stuff and want it, but know that you won't have it- what helps me is to keep in perspective that you are being more responsible with your finances, and that is a gift that your kids will appreciate much longer then they ever will all the cute baby stuff- and so will you.  You can only spend that money once, and it's more well spent wisely then on the stuff that looks really neat.  

It's hard, I know, but don't feel bad- look at what you have instead of what you don't.  

hugs

18mommytobe0512
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 4:54 AM
I'm getting what I want but the only thing is I don't have a nursery for baby:( hubby and I are staying with his parents for now. And I am really sad that I don't have a room to decorate for baby and there isn't a wall in our room I could decorate. But I just remember it's not about the stuff it's about the baby:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jakesmom323
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 5:06 AM
No, you are not a bad person at all! You are being a responsible parent and doing what you can. All you need with those lil boogers are diapers, wipes, 7 lil outfits, carseat, and crib. All the other stuff is just gluteny and a waste. I had a $300 travel system and put my son in an umbrella stroller because that thing was huge! Haha. I went all out for my first and you only use that stuff for a couple of months..tops! Bumpo, playmate, bottle warmer, etc. Good luck to you and I'm sure people will be giving you presents;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyIsMyName90
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 6:44 AM
This is how I feel also.

Quoting Pandapanda:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)