• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question.. Might be in labor..*Small Update* **another update very last reply :(**

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:20 AM
  • 51 Replies
1 mom liked this

Ok.. I have a question.. hopefully someones still up and can help me out.. So earlier today I went to the mall with the boyfriend and kids.. on the way home started having severely painful contractions about 3 min apart lasting 1 min.. that went on for an hour or so and when we got home.. they kinda slowed way down.. I was also having severe back pain.. I'm talking sharp pain in my lower back near the tail bone area and it radiated thru my abdomin and down thru my vaginal area...

Well I called my midwife and she told me to just try to relax.. drink plenty water.. and let her know if they started back up and everything.. She was going to bed to get some sleep just in case this is it.. Well around 1 a.m. I was laying down on my right side.. pretty much asleep.. When I started getting woke up every 5 min again with contractions.. and they are very painful and lasting 1 min.. I timed them for about half hour to 45 min and they were pretty consistant at 5 min apart and 1 min long.. I tried to wake my bf up and got aggravated because he didn't believe me and said I wasn't in labor and rolled over and went back to sleep. So I went to the bathroom and all that.. The whole time i was up I didn't have any.. it was about 8 min. in between the next contraction.. but now that I'm laying back down they are back to 5 min apart and 1 min long.. Could this be the real thing? Is it common for them to slow a little when you get up and move around or if you get stressed?

I don't want to call and wake my midwife up if this isn't it.. But I also don't wanna wait to long.. she lives a lil bit away.. I'm planning a home birth if all goes well.. My water still hasn't broke.. and I haven't had any bloody show as of yet.. But my backs killing me and I'm also having the shakes/chills.. I'm between 41 and 42 weeks.

**Update** so I ended up calling my midwife.. She told me to eat a snack.. and drink some water.. and try to rest.. she said if I could fall asleep to go for it cuz things would be worse later and I needed the rest while I could get it.. and said if I wasn't able to sleep to call her back in an hour.. I ended up falling asleep and woke up around 7 a.m. to NO contractions.. Hadn't been having them all morning so I called her and asked what i should do.. What was going on.. She said it's completely normal for it to come and go like this when it's very early labor.. she told me to eat a good breakfast and get back on the breast pump alternating every 10 min for an hour.. then to walk for an hour.. and back to the pump for an hour.. then to rest for an hour and see what happens.. I'm on my first round with the breast pump.. I just did my 10 min on and am on my 10 min off right now.. and have had 2 contractions already.. they were about 2 min apart.. So hopefully this little combination is going to do the trick.. I hope so.. My c section is scheduled for in the morning.. If I can get a good pattern going I'm going to call my doctor and tell him I think we need to hold off cuz I'm having contractions.. Please keep your fingers and toes crossed for me!!!! Praying this is going to work!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Amber on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:22 AM

I absolutely think this could be it. I have never had consistent contractions with either of my labors. My second labor was every 5 minutes to 3 hours apart. The only reason I really knew I was in labor was the discharge I was having. Once active labor hit, it hit me really hard and she was born super fast afterward (in her sac, my water never broke).

Get your things ready, try to sleep if you can. I think this might be it!

lizzie_8690
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:23 AM
It could be ..are they very strong?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ValRiggs
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:27 AM

I would say they are pretty strong.. Very crampy feeling and radiating from my back abdomen and vaginal area.. and coming every 5 min for 1 min..Only thing that concerns me is if I get up and move around they slow down a bit.. but when I lay back down they are regular again... I hate to call and wake her up over nothing.. but like I said.. I don't wanna wait to long either.. I hope this is it cuz I was scheduled for a c section Monday if I didn't go into labor..

ValRiggs
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:32 AM

I just called my midwife.. She thinks this is the start of the real thing.. but she said it's going to be a while prolly.. She told me to eat a snack ( I ate a bown of chicken noodle soup and had a sprite) and then told me to try and go to sleep.. She said if I can fall asleep and get any kind of rest it will be helpful.. but said if i can't sleep.. to call her back in an hour and she will go ahead and come over.. She said it will be pretty intense later so I need to rest up while I can.. I'm so nervous.. Still skeptical if this is the real thing or not.. Time will tell!! Will update later if i can :)

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:38 AM

I would say wait to call her. But since you are having the shakes, you could be closer. So give her a call. And make your boyfriend get up and do counter-pressure on your back during the contractions. Spend some time on your hands and knees with your forehead to the floor. This will help the baby turn and hopefully stop the back labor. You should also take a warm bath. This will really help your body relax and hopefully get into gear. 

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:39 AM

I am so happy and excited for you! I was praying you would have your baby this weekend. Can't wait to see an update!

Quoting ValRiggs:

I just called my midwife.. She thinks this is the start of the real thing.. but she said it's going to be a while prolly.. She told me to eat a snack ( I ate a bown of chicken noodle soup and had a sprite) and then told me to try and go to sleep.. She said if I can fall asleep and get any kind of rest it will be helpful.. but said if i can't sleep.. to call her back in an hour and she will go ahead and come over.. She said it will be pretty intense later so I need to rest up while I can.. I'm so nervous.. Still skeptical if this is the real thing or not.. Time will tell!! Will update later if i can :)

kblpooh
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:41 AM
It sounds like you might be having back labor. If you are having back labor try getting on all fours to try and shift baby's position. That might be why it doesn't bother you as much when standing. When I had back labor the only position that was comfortable was standing. I know that standing doesn't help with getting sleep but if you can get baby to shift that might help. Also make sure you drink drink drink water! If you don't have enough fluids in you the contractions are more intense. I learned this the hard way with my second. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by Amber on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Any update?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pacificamom
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Quoting Pandapanda:

Any update?

Pregnancy%20ticker

doulala
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I was going to say this sounds like the start if It, but see you called your midwife.....

So keep us posted (whenever you get a chance~~) !

Best wishes!
:-D

"The traditional midwife believes that birth proceeds in a spiral fashion: labor starts, stops and starts, while the baby goes down, up and down, and the cervix opens, closes and opens.   Nature has no design for failure; she holds her own meaning for success."Sher Willis

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)