Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you feel about transvag ultrasounds?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM
  • 55 Replies
Yup, it's a hot topic right now! As someone who has had several, I don't know how to feel about what people are calling the transvaginal ultrasound now. Words are being used like "degrading" "humiliating" & even rape. What are your feelings about having them performed on you?

My feelings: No one ever asked for my consent to perform one but instead explained what it was for & I never felt violated. Maybe slightly embarrassed but at that point I had already had pap smears & breast exams so I saw it as just another necessary & uncomfortable medical tool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't like any kind of ultrasound at all. My first I only had one becaue of pains at 10 weeks. My second I was bullied into it at 22 weeks and my third I got what I wanted. none at all. My first would have been too but with the pain I was having it was better to then not to know. My second I wish I had know that it was not something I had to do.

doulala
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't do any ultrasounds in my pregnancies because I don't like or want them, so the same goes for this type.    And if I did consent then it's okay.     Without consent it's not legal.

Stevensmomma
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I have had them and I just saw it as a necessary thing that had to be done I was explained what it was I didn't think it was "rape" I think people are overreacting a bit its not for sexual pleasure its to check your baby!

kelsiey
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I feel if you don't want one or are going to be stupid enough to say you feel violated, you shouldnt have one. It really isnt that hard.

littlecheifsmom
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM

i had one once with my 2nd preg. i was scared at first, cause i didnt know what it was, or what it entailed.

once i got the info, and all that i was fine with it. it was something that had to get done, to see our little bean at that time. the only thing that i hated about it, is it hurt. the tech wasnt nice, and i ended up bruised down there, and was very uncomfortable for a week.  i felt totally man handled so to speak and boy did i let her know about it as well as my OB.  i never consented to one again. IF i had to have another one, it would have to be for emergency reasons only.

SuperMom2433
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM
I dont mind u/s. With my first pregnancy they had to keep a close eye on my daughter because she wasnt growing fast enough. Shes 6 now and very healthy.
With my second, I had to get transvaginal u/s because at the beginning of the pregnancy I had a SCH and after that cleared up I had preterm labor and they needed to keep an eye on my cervix.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lumda4
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:16 PM
It's only inappropriate when the government makes you have the transvaginal ultrasound. If you consent, what's the issue?

FBI definition of rape: the penetration no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with a body part or object....

It's hot right now b/c VA was considering forcing a woman to get one before an abortion. Now, and rightfully so, the VA govt will require only the outside ultrasound, not the transvaginal one.
Marimaru
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I can't imagine thinking it was a 'violation'.  I will admit my doctor was not particularly gentle (there's a few reasons I switched), but still, I just walk away shaking my head about it, nothing more...

doulala
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Quoting Lumda4:

It's only inappropriate when the government makes you have the transvaginal ultrasound. If you consent, what's the issue?

FBI definition of rape: the penetration no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with a body part or object....

It's hot right now b/c VA was considering forcing a woman to get one before an abortion. Now, and rightfully so, the VA govt will require only the outside ultrasound, not the transvaginal one.

Curious why that's "right"?
   Do you mean to confirm there is a heartbeat?

MommyLehr
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM
I had one with my.second. it didn't really bother me at all. It was a little awkward. But I didn't care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)