Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

siblings during labor

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:02 PM
  • 9 Replies

So I am considering letting my three and a half year old stay during labor and delivery if he wants to. He could come and go with grandma is what we are thinking. We already know we want him in and staying with us after she comes out. So if we stay anynights othere than when I am in labor he will be with us and our hospital is fine. But now I am thinking depending on time of delivery it might help with bonding. He has been apart of every big thing our family has done and I feel why make something he is not apart of. He has watched movies with me like buisness of being born and Ina May talks... Has anyone done this or is anyone doing this?

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
2timezthefun
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:06 PM

No the kids will be with my mil i think they're going to be too young when i have elijah my twins will be 17 months and Caden will be 15 months. They will come after he gets here 

MommyAddie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:25 PM
My girls (6) want to be there, but I say no. I want df and myself only.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:28 PM
Dd will be with my parents when we go to the hosp, theres no way i can manage labor and her, nor do i want her to see me in pain like that, it would just scare her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BiPolarMomto3
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:33 PM
My kids were in the room with me when I was laboring ... Cobra and Shelby were present when Romero was born. They were all supposed to be there when Hawk was born but some bitch ass nurse changed that withouty permission. (long story) cobra was supposed to cut the cord. I think it's a great idea. It really makes them feel like they involved in everything that is going on and makes them feel special... Like they are helping... :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2bkayleesmommy
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:34 PM
My dd never came the 6 days I was in the hosp. I had a emergency c-section wasn't given any pain meds (was throwing up from pain durring the c-section ek! ) Ne-ways I was in tons of pain after 15x more so then my 1st c-section so decided I didn't want her to see me in pain/and crying (baby was in nicu 5 days) came home day after me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Terra3
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
My 6 and 4 year old sons were in the room when my last son was born. My 6 year old was my little coach standing right next to my doctor yelling "push him out, mom" "come on, baby, come out" lol. The doctors and nurses loved him. This time I have left it up to all 4 of my boys whether they want to be there or not. My 10 year old (6yo from last time) wants to be there and is very excited about it. My 8 year old (4yo from last time) wants to be in the room during labor but not when the baby comes out because he has fears of me dying and blood freaks him out. I have a feeling he will change his mind though because sometimes he says he wants to stay if he can stand by my head and not see anything. My 6 and 5 year old both say they want to but this will be their first time. I have people available inside and outside my room all prepared for whatever they decide. We have prepared all of them on what it looks like and what to expect for this baby.

I truly think with my two oldest boys it helped them bond so much with my youngest. They love their little brother and are so proud they got to be a part of it. We have pictures of both of them standing by the table right after he was born when they were cleaning him up and they both have their hands on him and are talking to him. The baby stopped crying when he heard their voices and turned his head towards them.

I think as a mother you need to make the choice on whether your older child can handle it and also if you can handle having him there. If it would cause you stress in any way than don't do it. But if it's a relaxing thing to have your son there than go for it. With me I was induced so my baby was born during the day but if I had gone into labor on my own in the middle of the night I'm not sure I would have brought them along. But again it all depends on what you and your son feel is right and comfortable.

And just so no one starts to question how many kids I have, my 10 year old and 6 year old sons are adopted. I've only given birth to 2 babies. I'm pregnant with my 3 but this will be our 5th child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:58 PM
I think it is a great idea, if your child desires that! I had my kids with my for the majority of my labor but not the birth. I felt they were too immature and they had no desire to be there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Burke11
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:03 PM

My 8 yr old ds wanted to be there when shes born but I said no but I did tell him he could be the 1st person to come see her. I just feel like the delivery room is not a place for kids.

doulala
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I love having kids there!    Many wonderful experiences!
:-)
But I do feel like it's nicer to not do it in the hospital setting.    

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)