Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Share your c-section recovery tips and experiences!

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 11:02 PM
  • 9 Replies

What helped you heal, and how did you cope with recovery while taking care of a newborn?

by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
munkiebaby
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I HAD a 3 yr when i had my c-section. All i can say is walk walk walk. ull be sore but it will get better.  as u get up and moving and pace ur self dont over due it. and let some things go. not everything has to be done in a day and not all things purfic. I am pregnant right now and this will be my 3rd c-section. feel free to add me if ud like to talk.

Marimaru
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Walking is good.  I should have walked more, not actually because of my c-section, but because of my late pregnancy hip problems that didn't magically go away when I no longer had a baby.  I'd let my muscles get weak by not moving much which caused more pain than the walking would have been.

Also, I was very backed up (constipated) after.  Do all the things you can to avoid that! 

My husband had things near by me, and was able to take 3 weeks off work, so as far as recovering with a newborn, he would get me what I needed that first week, and made sure I always had water to drink :).

Larsbug
by Laura on Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I have had 2 and the best advice I can give to any mom having  c-section is while you are sore and it hurts the more you walk the quicker you will heal!!! WALK WALK WALK WALK WALK WALK WALK WALK WALK!

Hn2baes
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM
I asked my in-laws for a tummy wrap for Christmas, and OMG IT HELPED SO MUCH!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kris0921
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Have a pilliow with you at all times, it helps when you get up from seating or laying. Walk as much as possible in the hospital. I would also wrap your belly to help the swelling go down. All these things I did and they helped me out big time! At 5 days post I was up and almost back to my normal self.

mrs.jonesy
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 2:50 AM

I've had two csections already and am going to have another come October.  My mother passed on a bit of advice to me from her two csections.  As soon as you are allowed to get up A) have someone help you roll over onto your stomach and lie there for at least 10 to 15 minutes, this helps dissipate any air in the incision which can be HIGHLY uncomfortable.  B) Just like those other ladies said, walk walk walk walk.  Don't use a csection as a reason to lay in bed and be waited on, moving around is the best bet for you in the long run.  C) Drink a LOT of water.  You will be dehydrated after, no matter how many IV fluid bags you've gone through.  This is major surgery and your body will be exhausted, so help it along by drinking lots of fluids and eating well. 

jenzachsam
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 4:45 AM

1. Ask for help or make sure you have help.  

2.  Get up and walk as soon as they unhook you from the cathdar.

3.  Take your meds if you are hurting.

4.  Know your limits and listen to your body.

5.  You can still bf even if you have had a cs...  A lot of moms don't believe they can bf after a c/s.  You actually still can.

6.  If you have a cold, just place a pillow over your stomach or get the belly bands.

7.  If you are backed up you can ask for a stool softner.  Those help a lot.

8.  Don't be frustrated.  You just had major surgery. 

I can't think of anymore lol!  I'm sure there's lots more, but my brain has been donated to my baby so, it will return in about five months or so.

jakesmom323
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 8:37 AM
Just really listen to the doctor and take it easy. Line up help for you and baby the first two weeks. Keep it clean and relax. I didn't listen and my got itchy and keloid:( I'm having another one in August and they are supposed to fix how ugly my scar is. Good luck:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kelsiey
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Walking helps alot. I recovered pretty quickly because I walked alot, as soon as I could. Even if it hurts, walk every day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)