Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Did you do anything to naturally induce labor?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:55 AM
  • 20 Replies

6 Natural Ways to Induce Labor

Posted by Nicole Fabian-Weber on April 23, 2012 

pregnant belly
Come on, already!
So, the thing that everybody said would happen is happening right now. My due date is pretty much here, I still have no baby, and I'm getting impatient. (Really impatient.) I envisioned she'd be here already. I've made all the proper preparations. Her room is ready, the cosleeper is set up, the bottles are sterilized (as well as the apartment), and my bags are packed. I even bought a lovely bouquet of flowers last week in anticipation of her arrival. Alas, no child. Where are you, baby?! Aren't you ready to meet?

So, in the spirit of keeping things au naturel, I've started pulling out the stops. The kooky, crazy, could-totally-be-a-load-of-crap stops that supposedly induce labor sans any drugs. Hey, I'll try anything at this point.

Here are 6 ways that (supposedly) naturally induce labor.

Walking. The classic, right? So many women I know have told me tales of how the day/night they went into labor was after a gigantic hike or walk. Not me. I must have walked 500 miles this weekend, and still, no babe. The concept makes sense, though, as walking apparently helps draw the baby down into your pelvis, and the pressure of the baby on your pelvis may then prime your cervix for labor -- or may help labor progress if you've already felt some contractions.

Spicy foods. Some people believe that eating spicy foods will irritate your intestines and that can cause your uterus to contract. I, on the other hand, am a skeptic as I ate a crapload of ultra-spicy salsa this weekend, and still, no baby.

Pineapples. Like the spicy foods thing, it's also believed that pineapples can help kickstart labor. Pineapples contain an enzyme called bromelain, which some say help soften the cervix. Pineapples are also used as a digestive aid, which could stimulate the bowels to move, which could stimulate contractions. 

Sex. May not be the highest thing on your priority list right now, as you're huge and uncomfortable, but sperm contains hormones that can help thin and dilate the cervix, ripening it for delivery. Also, orgasms release the hormone oxytocin, which can trigger contractions. So, if you're down, get yours, girl.

Acupuncture. Other parts of the world have been using acupuncture and acupressure since forever to bring on labor naturally -- certain points can supposedly stimulate uterine activity. If you're going to go this route, though, it's probably best to consult your doctor first, and make sure you go to someone who's certified in this type of acupuncture.

Teas. Always consult your doctor, midwife, doula, aunts, uncles, etc. before getting herbal, but supposedly teas containing black and blue cohosh, raspberry leaf, cumin, or evening primrose oil help bring on labor.

Visualization. People swear by it in all aspects of their lives, why not with labor? I've read that envisioning your cervix opening (whatever that looks like) is a good way to get things going, as well as -- now this is weird -- opening up all of your kitchen cabinets to signify "opening." I'm yet to try the kitchen cabinet thing, but come talk to me in a couple days.

Did you do anything to naturally induce labor?

by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Oh yes...I tried.  But, nothing worked.

bamamommy2009
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:52 AM

so i had been waling all week and would only dialate to 1 cm with my second baby when my doc said looked we tell women to walk to free up rooms and not to have them wait hours upon hours for real labor to begin, if you want to kick start it do sex. well so we got the green light and for 6 nights we were bunnies and when i was about to give up bc the next day was my last appointment and i would be schedualing my induction at 6 am i went into labor, and when i finally realized i was in labor he came fast and hard and made it to the hospital just intime and suprisinlgy enough was able ot get a epidualar at 8-9cm which was great!!!!!!!!

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Nope, I knew baby will come when baby was ready.

HannahC
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I ate hot wings and jumped on the trampoline around 7ish in the evening of my due date with our third baby... 11 pm my water broke. If we have any more kids I will probably try it again... Haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyIsMyName90
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:08 AM
I walked to help move things along with my first, but I was already in labor. I don't think anything works if baby's not ready :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jengunn09
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:24 AM

When I was pregnant with my second, I got induced a week early. That didn't work, my son refused to come out. So by the time I was four days late, I decided to try and help things along. So what I did is this:

I ate 1 whole pound of Cherries. I did this because It got my bowels going (which can cause minor contractions)

Then I gave myself an Orgasm (I know this sounds crazy, but the Orgasm started the contractions imeadiatly) 

After doing these two things I was in the hospital with in 40 minutes. I had my son the very next morning!

louzannalady
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

There is no way to "naturally" induce, to be honest. The purpose of inducing labor is to nudge the body in a direction is not prepared to go. Labor is triggered by the baby's body saying their lungs are developed and the baby's body signals mom's hormones to get the party started. Any method that tries to override that carries risks- especially if mom has a low Bishop score. 

in·duce

  [in-doos, -dyoos]  Show IPA
verb (used with object), in·duced, in·duc·ing.
to lead or move by persuasion or influence, as to someaction or state of mind: to induce a person to buy a raffleticket.
to bring about, produce, or cause: That medicine will inducesleep.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

pacificamom
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Quoting Raeann11:

Nope, I knew baby will come when baby was ready.

CafeMom Tickers

KatieGirls2
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Same here...

Quoting meam4444:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Lol, me too! My second came 13 days after his due date. I tried every safe method out there (walking, sex, etc.) and he came only after I quit trying. Darling little stinker :)

My third I did nothing and she came much sooner.

Quoting meam4444:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN