Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone been diagnosed with Gestional Diabetes?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:49 PM
  • 5 Replies
If so, what did your doctor tell you about the effects on the baby in utero & after birth? I had my one hr glucose & my Dr. Called me today stating my blood sugar was high so now I need to do the 3 hr test. I'm aware of the effects on me now & after birth, but I'm worried about the effects now & after birth on the baby if I am positive for it. I am also familiar with the effects on the baby from what I've read, but would like to hear from actual people who have this.
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
PrOuDaRmYWiF08
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I have a very mild case, my #'s were just barely over 2 out of the 4 blood draws.

All my doctor said is with a change in diet, theres nothing to worry about. And I failed my such a little amount, diet change is just a precautionary.

But Ive read and heard that if you control it, there shouldnt be really any risk to the baby. Its those who let it get out of control who have problems.

Hope you get better experiances! :) And hopefully you pass your 3 hour!!!

lulu9209479
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:08 PM
I had to do my glucose test early because there is a strong history in my family. My level came back slighty elevated, it was 134 and normal is 130. I'm going to go next week and do it. Im dreading it. I am wondering when I went for the first test why they didn't take my fasting blood sugar and on the sheet my dr gave me for the 3 hour test it explains the procedure and they take your fasting blood sugar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
surferlover
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:21 PM
I had gd with this last pregnancy. I was real careful and controlled it with diet. Steven was born two weeks ago, 5lbs 11 oz so he wasn't the typical "big" baby that is common with gd. After he was born they checked his sugar levels 4 times a day but they were normal. If you follow the nutrition plan and keep it controlled then I think you're baby will be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gacgbaker
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:30 AM

I had GD with #3- from what I understand, if you don't keep your sugar in check it can increase the babies risk of getting diabetes later in life.  High birth weight can be a concern, but keeping your sugar in check will keep that in check.  

NiceMom06
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:35 AM
I had it with all three. I checked my sugars and watched all that I ate. All my kids weighed under six pounds , they were healthy and all on time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)