Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anxiety/depression meds?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:25 PM
  • 7 Replies

My DH and I are TTC... and I'm just curious what pills are safe to take for anxiety. I am currently prescribed Celexa and Xanax. I have read Celexa is safe but Xanax is not.

I am only on it for test anxiety. I have it so bad that I needed med's for it... but when I'm not in school I do not need to take it.

I'm just wondering if there is anyhting safe to take during pregnancy in place of Xanax. I'll talk to my doctor about it in a few weeks when I go in for an appointment. I had quit taking both to get out of my system while TTC but it's really affecting my school and I need to take them through November/December until I graduate and take the NCLEX.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gacgbaker
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:46 AM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

amy31308
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tararon
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Stay on celexa and stop xanax. Call the doctors office and ask.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3RingCircus2006
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I was on Celexa it has been linked with birth defects. If i were u i would start getting off of it now. I say that because, when i found out i was preg. I got off Cold Turkey and OMG it was not fun. Withdraws plus Hormones.My doc did say i could get back on it once i was maybe 16 weeks or so. Ask your doc. but do your research too. And when i was pereg with my first, the doc gave me xanax when my best friend was killed. Sooo idk Good Luck :)

kmr1217
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I was on a different one (lexapro) and was trying to wean myself off anyway when I found out I was pregnant (surprise).  So I had to speed up getting weaned off it and have had a couple panic attacks in the first trimester (now I'm in my third tri).  Those haven't come back but it's been hard not being on anything, so good luck to you.  My doc also prescribed 5 xanax for when/if the panic attacks do come back but I haven't had to take them and hoping not to.  I have also heard there are others approved for pregnancy, but don't remember which they were.  Agree that's it harder to go cold turkey if you get pregnant, so if you could try to wean yourself off sooner than later, I would help I think.  Wishing you the best and GL!

amy31308
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM
The thing is is that I did quit completely because I didn't want to be on anything and I started failing tests but when I'm on it and Xanax I'm relaxed enough I pass and do much better!! So I have to be one something til November. I was researching and I read celexa is safe but not Xanax. I seriously wish I didn't have severe test anxiety.

Quoting 3RingCircus2006:

I was on Celexa it has been linked with birth defects. If i were u i would start getting off of it now. I say that because, when i found out i was preg. I got off Cold Turkey and OMG it was not fun. Withdraws plus Hormones.My doc did say i could get back on it once i was maybe 16 weeks or so. Ask your doc. but do your research too. And when i was pereg with my first, the doc gave me xanax when my best friend was killed. Sooo idk Good Luck :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3RingCircus2006
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:17 PM

There has to be somthing safe for u to take that will work.hmmm... Maybe even if you only took it when you need it. Not an everyday type thing.Tell your doc that you might be getting pregnant soon, and see what he says is safe.But with the celexa i saw on tv about babies being born with clubed feet and all the lawsuits. So i asked the doc and she said it has been linked. :( I hope u find somthing that helps

Quoting amy31308:

The thing is is that I did quit completely because I didn't want to be on anything and I started failing tests but when I'm on it and Xanax I'm relaxed enough I pass and do much better!! So I have to be one something til November. I was researching and I read celexa is safe but not Xanax. I seriously wish I didn't have severe test anxiety.

Quoting 3RingCircus2006:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)