Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Touch the Bump...Lose a Hand!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM
  • 23 Replies

So I am 22 weeks preggo with baby #3. Which means this time around I am really "BUMPING" at this point in the pregnancy. I have never appreciated anyone (besides my husband) touching my belly. I would even go as far to say my own mother... it's not that I dont love that family & friends (and even strangers) get excited over the thought of new life. However, when they "rub" or touch the bump, they are NOT touching the baby. They are touching me! And to be honest, as ridiculous as this sounds, I feel violated and extremely uncomfortable. I have told my mother-in-law several times now that I am NOT a "touch my belly" type of prreggers. Yet she continually rubs my belly when I see her. I have now started to pull away immediately.

What approach would you take to avoid unwanted bump rubbing!? I was thinking - next time she rubs my belly... I'd grab her boob? Would that get across the point of how uncomfortable I feel?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this
start rubbing their bellys lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:23 PM
oh oh and tell them
you like belly rubbin so much i thought youd enjoy it to
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I block belly touches. And if a stranger ever did it i would probably ask of they wanted me to touch them? Lol or slap more like it.

Dh does occassionally to feel for kicks and my mom sneaks a touch in for kicks sometimes. Otherwise, belly is off limits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Katie44
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Lol

Quoting Autumn19:

start rubbing their bellys lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Javamama619
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:31 PM
I had a shirt that said that lol, also I would blatantly tell mil that if she insists on touching me I will a) be forced to not visit with her until she learns to respect boundaries or b) smack her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjmarty
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I tolerate it from my mother-in-law simply because her visits are a rarity in and of themselves, she's a complete dear, and I technichally wouldn't have a baby without her (I married her baby). :P The only other people who even attempt are my husband, of course, who is not excessive with the belly touching, but still attentive, and whom I do not mind; also one of my little brothers (I have 5): the 8-year-old who when I see him, occasionally pats my belly and says, "Hello little buddy! It's me, your Uncle Danny!" And I just find that cute. :)

staciababy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:47 PM

It doesn't bother me, everybody wants to try and play "name that bump." it doesn't bother me when someone touches my arm when I'm not pregnant, so I don't mind when someone tries to touch the baby.

sexysweet0912
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:20 PM
I tell them " if you touch my belly u will bring back a bloody nub and I'm not kidding!" lol say it with a smile of course it always gets the strangers....hahahahaa
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Koux
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:24 PM
This is how I feel. As long as its not a stranger or weirdo, I don't mind the occasional belly touch. However, if you're uncomfortable with it and have communicated that, others should respect that!

Quoting staciababy:

It doesn't bother me, everybody wants to try and play "name that bump." it doesn't bother me when someone touches my arm when I'm not pregnant, so I don't mind when someone tries to touch the baby.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marimaru
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:55 PM

My sister said she was going to start touching other people's bellies when they did it to her.  I haven't really had this issue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)