Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Car seat cover

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:08 PM
  • 10 Replies

Does anyone know of any websites that have padded car seat covers? And I am not looking to spend a fortune. I looked on sassy covers and some are over $100!!! I dont even wanna spend $50. Any ideas?

Adilynn Grace.♥

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PoodleMum
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Research the safety of using an after market seat cover, I personally wouldn't risk my baby's safety.  There are some out there that are safe (don't have any fabric near the straps, no fabric beneath the head, no added head support, etc), but they still aren't flame retardant

Rayawni
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this
What kind of cover? The ones that you thread your straps through are considered dangerous. To pad and position a newborn babies head it is better to use rolled receiving blankets. There are also covers that go over the seat that do not compromise the safety of the seat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gacgbaker
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 5:16 AM

I honestly am not really sure!

TessaRae01
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:09 AM

The cover I am looking for replaces the cover already on the car seat. It looks and fits just like the original cover that comes on the seat.

momto1ryen
by Lindsey on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:13 AM

The only covers that are safe to replace one with are ones made by the seta manufacturer for that specific seat. So if I wanted a new seat cover for Ds' Britax Boulevard I would have to replace it with a Britax Boulevard seat cover. Anything not made for the specific seat isn't safe.

nevaNabismommy
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM
google it, ebay, and amazone, walmart.com, target, there are safe ones out there and many are safer then ones made by the carset manf, because theres are mass produced and many others are made by hand and properly made.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ForeverInLove
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Quoting TessaRae01:

The cover I am looking for replaces the cover already on the car seat. It looks and fits just like the original cover that comes on the seat.

Please do NOT buy one that is hand made. Instead, call the manufacturer of the seat and purchase one fromt hem. The ones that people make handmade are not safe at all, and void manufacturer warranty. I know the covers are so cute when they are personalized, but what's better? Cute or Baby's safety? You can always have an attachable blanket made to fit over the top if you want. And in the end, the baby is going to be cute no matter what they lay in. I think you can agree to that! lol.

But, please, do not purchased handmade covers. If it didn't come from the manufacturer of the seat, for your seat, it's not safe. It compromises safety. It will also void the warranty... if baby were to become hurt in an accident because of a seat malfunction, the manufacturer has the right to deny claims, and would win in a court settlement. All because you cannot prove that the seat itself was the cause... Who knows if the add-ons caused the seat to malfunction. 

ForeverInLove
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Quoting nevaNabismommy:

google it, ebay, and amazone, walmart.com, target, there are safe ones out there and many are safer then ones made by the carset manf, because theres are mass produced and many others are made by hand and properly made.

I'm sorry hun, but thsi is not true. Handmade is not safe. Not when it comes to child restraints. Just because someone takes individual time to thread needles and stitch together, doesn't mean that a mass produced manufacturing company, who rigorously (sp) tests their products in many situations, is less safe. Considering that handmade is NOT fire retardent, is a BIG one. That cotton and polyester batting that a handmade one is not treated with retardent. Therefore, in an accident that the vehicle lights on fire, that seat is likely to go up too. If you've ever gotten to close to a fire with your own clothing, you probably know how quick it was for something to start melting or simply catch fire. 

nevaNabismommy
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Im not tlking about ones someone made it the house im tlking about ones that are ment as replacements, im pretty sure its illegal to sell any baby item thats not flame retardent, but I bought one from ebay and had
it checked and meet every standerd
that is requierd by law.

Quoting ForeverInLove:

Quoting nevaNabismommy:

I'm sorry hun, but thsi is not true. Handmade is not safe. Not when it comes to child restraints. Just because someone takes individual time to thread needles and stitch together, doesn't mean that a mass produced manufacturing company, who rigorously (sp) tests their products in many situations, is less safe. Considering that handmade is NOT fire retardent, is a BIG one. That cotton and polyester batting that a handmade one is not treated with retardent. Therefore, in an accident that the vehicle lights on fire, that seat is likely to go up too. If you've ever gotten to close to a fire with your own clothing, you probably know how quick it was for something to start melting or simply catch fire. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laytonslilmomma
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Honestly, you're going to have to spend a lot to get a replacement cover. What kind of car seat is it? I know that Britax makes replacement covers. The only ones that you're going to spend less on are the ones that go over the original cover....which is what I use. It's thin but cozy. Everything is going to be upward of $80 these days though. You could always look on Craigslist because a lot of times ppl sell covers on there!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)