Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Do you think pregnant women should get Mother's Day gifts?

Posted by   + Show Post

Mother's Day Gifts for Pregnant Women Are Kind of Ridiculous

Posted by Nicole Fabian-Weber on April 26, 2012 

mothers day giftI'm excited for Mother's Day this year, because for the first time ever, I'll be a mom. Granted, I'll be a brand-new mom (my due date is tomorrow), but a mom nonetheless. I look forward to a relaxed day, where I'm treated to something special. Maybe a bouquet of flowers from my husband and, of course, a little trinket or card from my daughter.

I imagine that the feeling I'll get from opening something from my child -- something that's addressed to "Mom" -- will be like nothing I've ever experienced. Save for a few joke cards "from my dog," I've never been referred to as "Mom" -- because I've never been a mom! This Mother's Day, I'll feel like I'm part of this exclusive club who gets their very own exclusive day, and it will totally have been worth the wait.

However, if I were still pregnant come Mother's Day, I wouldn't expect jack from anyone. Because, technically, pregnant women aren't moms yet, so they kinda don't deserve a Mother's Day gift.

Being pregnant is hard work. I know. Believe me, at 40 weeks, I know. But I think that giving a Mother's Day gift to a pregnant woman takes the fun out of future Mother's Days when they're actual mothers. It's jumping the gun a little bit. I mean, a cute card from your husband is one thing, but a full-blown gift is pretty unnecessary. I sort of liken it to throwing your child a semi-elaborate "Half Birthday Party" when he or she turns 6 months old (yep, people do that). It's too much, too soon. And it makes the big birthday party -- the 1 year birthday party -- all that much less special.

If you're toward the end of your pregnancy during Mother's Day, I know, it's kind of a bummer if you "can't" celebrate it. But just think about next year. You'll have a 1-year-old giving you a card -- and he or she will probably even be able to say "Mom" to boot. Isn't that worth the wait?

Do you think pregnant women should get Mother's Day gifts?

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:35 AM
Replies (61-63):
kayleesmom42328
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks. I usually get him something. Last year dd & I made him a gift & got him something. This year I'm considering giving him what he says I getting. NOTHING! I know its just a day to how your mom how much she means to you & love her, but it is nice to get a little something. Even if its just a card or not having to cook. I don't know why he's being a but this yr. We've been married 2 yrs & I haven't gotten an anniversary gift or card. But he has. I'm gonna be real ticked if he sends his mom & sis mother's day cards again this year & does nothing for me.

Quoting earthmama727:

Sorry, I liked this cause of the becoming a mom at the moment of conception part. Dont like that you DH doesn't give you anything! Hope you return the favor come fathers day!

Quoting kayleesmom42328:

You become a mother at the moment of conception. I think there is nothing wrong with getting a Mother's Day gift. When I was preg with my first daughter is was a few weeks before Mother's Day, my husband got me a card & I think flowers. That was 2 yrs ago. This year I won't be getting anything. He told me it is just a day someone made up & he's not getting me anything for it. He won't be home anyways, he work on the road.

CafeMom Tickers

lovefromwithin
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I think it would be nice. :)  Technically, pregnant women ARE already taking care of another life.

CafeMom Tickers
TiffanyJade
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:03 AM

If you're pregnant then you technically are a mother so i think getting a mother's day gift is appropriate and thoughtful. I plan to celebrate mother's day even though my daughter is still in the womb lol. I still feel like a mommy :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN