Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

WHY?! (Gender/ultrasound vent) *Poll

Poll

Question: Have you personally had an ultrasound(s) be wrong about your baby's gender that was preformed after 18 weeks, within the last 10 years?

Options:

yes

no

I know a friend......

No, but everyone always tells me about it happening!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 122

View Results

Why is it that when you find out the gender of a baby via 20 week ultrasound, people are always SO negative?!

If you wanted the opposite gender (Like lets say the ultrasound showed boy, but you "wanted" a girl) people wil say "You know ultrasounds are hardly ever wrong, too bad for you!" 

But if you get the gender you "wanted" (ultrasound shows girl, you "wanted" a girl), EVERYONE (and I mean everyone! Even the nurse at my last prenatal appt made sure to inform me of someone she knew of whose ultrasound was wrong!) comes out of the woodwork telling tales of wrong ultrasounds and how they knew a friend of a friend and her baby was born opposite of what the ultrasound said, etc.... >:/

I am just miffed because I have had two, count them TWO, (@ 20 and 24 weeks) ultrasounds and they both clearly showed a girl! I saw three lines people, there was no junk anywhere and it couldn't have been hiding, the tech extensively checked for me! 

But of course because I have three boys, everyone has to try to steal the joy and rain on the parade! YES I know ultrasounds can be wrong, but how come when I only had ONE ultrasound with all three of my previous pregnancies, no one was telling me then how "inaccurate" ultrasounds can be?! For the record the ultrasounds were correct with all three of my sons! 

But of course I still feel insecure everytime someone suggests the ultrasound is wrong because we really are excited to have our first (most likely only) daughter, and I also feel like its too good to be true that we finally are having a daughter, I never thought we would!

So Have you ever had an ultrasound be wrong in the last 10 years (not in 1992, technology has improved since then) that was preformed after 18 weeks? (YOU specifically, it seems like someone always knows of a friend of a friend, but share your friend story if you want )

Mommy to three boys, ages 5, 4 and 2, with a girl due in May! 

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Replies (51-54):
jenniandkids
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:17 PM

This is my 9th child and pregnancy and it hasn't been wrong yet.

Wantn1more
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 12:42 PM
My ultrasound in the early-mid '90's was right on!!! And it was at 16 weeks!... Sorry, was just LOL at the 1999 thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raynejane
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I think they are suppose to tell you it could be wrong so you dont sue them if it comes out the other gender. I did have a friend that was told it was a girl and it came out a boy. But I had exactly what they told me I was having. I however had ultrasounds about once every week for the duration of my pregnancy's. People are just rude...Congrats on your baby girl!

TabiP
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Congrats on your girl!!! :) I'm only 10 weeks pregnant w/my 2nd child. My only child is a boy and he is 14 yrs old. My husband and I (2nd marriage and 2nd child for both of us) are praying for a little girl as he has an 18 yrs old son. We feel blessed either way though. Sorry that people were trying to steal your joy and I've heard stories but years ago not in the past 10 yrs of so because the ultrasound imagining has improved tremendously over the years. God bless you and your family as you welcome your little girl into the world this month. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN