Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

So I have to ask *piog*

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:18 PM
  • 11 Replies

This is all I've heard about lately. DF and I are planning on buying 2 bengal cats once we get our house remodeled and get moved in (and of course have the money). It's something we've been planning for about 5-6 months now. Well now that I'm pregnant all I ever hear about is you shouldn't get cats until your new addition is older. 

What I'm wondering is what you guys think of having cats while your baby is newborn?

I had 2 cats when DS was born and we had no problems with the cats getting in the bassinet or crib. Actually our cats completely ignored DS.

by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmandaLacy
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:29 PM
We have 2 cats and with our first child they had nothing to do with her. We did keep the bedroom door closed for s long time. We still have our cats and I am not concerned at all with this baby either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyDust77
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM
I would think its ok, but you cant be the one changing the litter box. Something in their feces can affect preggos.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

lj.smommy
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I know. DF usually changes the litterbox anyways so it's one less thing I have to worry about during the day. It's a a parasite colled toxplasmosis. It was something I researched when I was pregnant with DS. We're getting the 2 cats regardless I just wanted to know what other mothers thought about having cats and a newborn.

Quoting BabyDust77:

I would think its ok, but you cant be the one changing the litter box. Something in their feces can affect preggos.

Autumn19
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:20 PM
bangels are a bit fistey.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pittymama
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:22 PM

like a PP said, i think the ONLY thing is the litterbox thing but if that's not a problem i really don't see the issue with having cats and a newborn. sometimes allergies are a concern for some but that's all i can think of right now!

tabbie-kat
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I think what OP is talking about is people saying not to get the cats while baby is newborn, she may have heard the horror stories of cats suffocating baby while sleeping because of the milk on their breath, i have heard this too, i dont have cats but i have mainly heard success stories. just take normal precautions with newborn and anyother animal. you should do fine.

Tummysprouts
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:37 PM
We have 10 cats, 5 dogs, and a goldfish and I have newborn triplets....not getting rid of the cats bc we had babies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimbyann
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM
That milk thing sounds like bs to me. :/

If there's any worry they have net things to drape over top on crib

Quoting tabbie-kat:

I think what OP is talking about is people saying not to get the cats while baby is newborn, she may have heard the horror stories of cats suffocating baby while sleeping because of the milk on their breath, i have heard this too, i dont have cats but i have mainly heard success stories. just take normal precautions with newborn and anyother animal. you should do fine.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marimaru
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I think adding new cats to the mix is asking for a possible mess.  I had 2 cats that I brought my daughter home to, but I know those cats, and know how they act around newness, and things like that.  You don't know what the kittens will think, and even if you have a kitten that is just trying to be playful, those little claws are like needles.  I'd say you want to bring a new animal (of any kind) in when you have enough time before baby to really know them, or your child is old enough to at least be told not to touch the cranky cat, or whatever.

mylilprincesses
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM
Possibility they will scratch the child and plus the litter box has urine in it which isn't good for the baby to be around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)