Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Any mothers NOT use baby wipes?

Posted by   + Show Post

Being very money consious, my boyfriend was talking with his guy friend who has a two year old how they could afford it (since neither he or his wife have jobs, my boyfriend and I do however) and he said to use wet cloths.

So, since realistically it would save us a ton of money, I think that's the route we're going to go, using wipes only when we're out and about in the baby bag.

I was just wondering who else doesn't use wipes and how useful is it? I read stories where some mothers said their child has never had a rash and they believe it's because they don't use chemically soaked wipes.

by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Replies (161-170):
ANSLUASI
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:05 AM

I never used wipes with our DD. I stocked up on those thin little baby cotton washcloths they sell at Walmart (don't buy the dollar store ones, they are very synthetic and do not absorb water properly). For messed diapers, I used toilet paper to wipe her clean, soaped her up with hypoallergenic Dove and used a  washcloth to get her clean. You need to use a fresh washcloth each time, but they are tiny so relaly don't add much to the amount of laundry. We NEVER had diaper rashes. I just used TP to wipe her if it was just pee.

kpmusic
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:11 AM

I did the same, but left the paper towels on the roll, just cut it in half with an electric knife.  Each half would fit in a plastic bowl.  When the water solution had soaked through the tube in the middle would just pull out and you could just pull the wipes from the middle like the round tubs of wipes that are all hooked together.  My favorite paper towel was the select-a-size one because they made the perfect size.

Quoting niki_hubbard:

try making your own wipes... i take paper towels and pull them off the roll, stacking as i go. i do about half a roll, then cut that stack in half. you will have to push, but put them in a wipes tub or a plastic baggie. heat one cup water to boiling, then wisk in a capful of your baby's baby wash and a good squirt of baby oil. pour over paper towels and turn over container every few minutes for about ten minutes, to soak each wipe. costs me about 50 cents a tub. i have used expensive viva paper towels, but found bounty basic actually works the best. you will have to play around with the oil/baby wash amounts, each person finds thier own concoction they like best. these wipes are bigger than store bought, and i think they work way better!

Lynette
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:26 AM

you could do cloth diapers too, that combined would save you a fortune.

Anyway my little guy started rashing from the wipes we were using.  I even rinsed them with water and it didn't fix it(Pampers Sensitive Touch).  So instead now we are using damp paper towels.  And when he has a really big poo I just rinse off his bottom w/ water at the kitchen sink(I disinfect after), because it's just faster.

Kirstyttc
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:35 AM

wipes gave my daughter a rash now i use cloth wipes

aka_speezolove
by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:01 AM

I will probably get guff for this and it doesn't really matter to me since I am way past the baby stage, but I don't see how using cloth wipes will save a ton of money when you consider the cost of washing, using hot/warm water to wash and detergent.

Then again, when DD was a baby, wipes were like 2 dollars for 150. That to me is cheap. I don't know how much they are now.

I can see cloth diapering as money saving, but wipes alone, no.

KRIZZ25
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:55 AM

use tp or wash rag ...same this as wipes ..

greenmachine47
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:25 AM

I had a recipe I need to see if I can find it to make your own wipes. If I remember right it was water. baby bath and like a tspn maybe tblsp of baby oil, paper towels (viva works great since their clothlike) it's cheaper since most people have these things anyway then you know what is in your child's wipes. 

abbymomo2
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:41 AM

After i looked into what's in wipes, I stopped using them. I simply wet paper towels

abbymomo2
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:45 AM

I used to do it that way until I read up on baby oil. All baby oil is is mineral oil. Mineral oil is what's left of crude oil after you extract gasoline. I know I'm not putting THAT on my child's skin....

Quoting kpmusic:

I did the same, but left the paper towels on the roll, just cut it in half with an electric knife.  Each half would fit in a plastic bowl.  When the water solution had soaked through the tube in the middle would just pull out and you could just pull the wipes from the middle like the round tubs of wipes that are all hooked together.  My favorite paper towel was the select-a-size one because they made the perfect size.

Quoting niki_hubbard:

try making your own wipes... i take paper towels and pull them off the roll, stacking as i go. i do about half a roll, then cut that stack in half. you will have to push, but put them in a wipes tub or a plastic baggie. heat one cup water to boiling, then wisk in a capful of your baby's baby wash and a good squirt of baby oil. pour over paper towels and turn over container every few minutes for about ten minutes, to soak each wipe. costs me about 50 cents a tub. i have used expensive viva paper towels, but found bounty basic actually works the best. you will have to play around with the oil/baby wash amounts, each person finds thier own concoction they like best. these wipes are bigger than store bought, and i think they work way better!

tinkerbellbay
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:48 AM
I ake my own cloth wipes but there is the other ways to make wipes
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN