Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Why am I hearing that c sections are given more and more?

Hi. I've had 2 dd's. 9&10. I'm 19 weeks now. I usually get the high BP when I go into labor but my dr. Was really good(I think) about
Honoring my wishes. No c section.

I have a new dr. And I'm super scared of how he handles things. I don't not want a c section what so ever.

Doesn't it feel like dr's do c sections a lot more now?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Replies (31-37):
vwd_johnson
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Csections are very popular now.. doctors love to give them, and a lot of women now either don't know enough to decline them, or don't mind having them. I'm one who doesn't mind having them. I had an emergency csec with my son, and opted for it with my daughter because I didn't wanna try labor again.

Talk to your doc now about your concerns, tell them firmly how you feel. The sooner you let them in on the fact that you will not stand for a csection, the easier it will be if it actually comes down to that. Most will respect your wishes. If they seem skeptical, switch doctors !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Who you hire for your maternity care and the setting will greatly affect your outcome--  more than your actual health situation.
     If you prefer to avoid a cesarean you might really consider options, consider not hiring a high-risk doctor/surgeon or use the high intervention setting.     
Getting support and confidence can make a huge impact on your outcome as well, just takes a bit 'o homework.

You can do it!

:-)

Quoting Steamedpuddle30:

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

j.patzer
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:27 PM

i suggest you tell him at your next apt, ask his front desk staff what his c section rate is. all mom wwho are pro vag birth hate the the national avrage of sc is so high. c sections scare me to. even if your bp is running a little high during labor, a c section is only warranted if the babys heart rate starts droping signifagantly at each contraction. no matter what the dr say it is your leagle right to refuse and to be fully informed of all the pros and cons and for them to justafi any orecedure to your satifaction. i understand its a matter of health for you and baby, i have devloped pre eclampisa, which also has to do with bp. what have your bps ran during your last to l'n'ds? you have two vag birth that went weel under your belt. trust your gut, trust what your body is trlling you. during labor have them put you on the monitor from the start, ask the dr if you can come in and start monirting in the early stages of labor. if you have them leave the monitor on loud enough you can hear it you will know by instinct if the baby takes a turn for the worst.

hope things go in your favore and message me if you want to talk more.

Quoting Steamedpuddle30:

When do you start telling your dr.? How do I find out the c section% he has had? Thanks this really helped.

I really hate that the rate is high. It honestly scares me. I know my BP goes up somewhat when I'm in labor and I am so fearful that the dr. Will say the words they always say" you NEED A c section"it's a matter of the health of me(or the baby)

Tbh,I don't believe them. I just feel it and have had 2 healthy babies.

Quoting j.patzer:

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 6:22 PM
I had preclampsia so bad they had a hard time and over 30 tries for an iv. They said my BP was in stroke level and was lucky I didn't have one. As for the vbac I have talked to 3 local hospitals no doctor is willing to do one. Esp since I was over 42weeks with my son never dialated past 3cm on my own and he was over 10lbs

Quoting doulala:

Quoting lilmama8408:

I opted for one. When they did an ultrasound on my son he was meausuring 9lbs give or take, I was 42 weeks and not dialating, I had super severe preclampsia, and my doctor told us the risks of me trying to push a large baby and how he could end up paralyzed if he got stuck.

With this one its a repeat because the state I live in (I've talked to several hospitals) none offer vbac

Pre-elampsia may be a medical reason to intervene sometimes.    But otherwise, it sounds like you have (had?) a care provider limiting info to you and Informed Consent. 
When health & safety are the priority, moms must aware of their options.

;-)

If you are in the United States then you are legally entitled to a VBAC, even if your care providers don't tell you so.    Because an unnecessary-elective cesarean is so risky, you may be interested in checking into this.

Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Steamedpuddle30
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:51 PM
That's scary. I'm due sept. 29 th and I'm getting more informed on this stuff. ESP. With my new dr. I don't really like.

Quoting Owl_Feather:

you should watch "pregnant in america".  while it isnt all doctors, many schedule c sections for their convenience. Some literally do them because a vacation or dinner party is the weekend of your due date, or it's just quicker and they can go home early. cut open and voila, a baby! really a shame.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Steamedpuddle30
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:54 PM
That's great. I'm glad you were informed and have this information before having the baby. I have a feeling I'll hear the words "baby in danger or I am in danger and my Dh will get scared And try to convince me to get one. What type
Of proof am I to ask them so my Dh can know??

I know dr. Last time said my
BP was high and stress was on the baby,but I just had this feeling that ibwas very close and asked dr. To let me please deliver vaginally. He did and it was all fine. Thank God.

Quoting Owl_Feather:

Quoting Devious103102:

You absolutely can! 

Quoting Steamedpuddle30:

So can I contest it? I will tell my dr. Or midwife and Dh I absolutely do not want a c section. BUT,I know the words they use(I've heard it a lot w other moms I know) "it's a matter of your health and the Babies health":(

Which of course always sounds scary.

Quoting Devious103102:

C-secs are done a lot more now because 1-they're more convenient for them to do and 2-a lot of women aren't contesting them.

they cannot force you to have one! If they give you one and you didnt consent, you can sue and will win. I am fighting for a vbac right now. While there is a vbac ban at my hospital, if I show up pushing they cannot turn me away.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Steamedpuddle30
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:57 PM
Thanks. I left my Awesome Mid wife bc she said I'd have to see the dr. Bc I had high BP:( I loved her but now I changed dr.'s and I'm not really happy with the way he runs things. My Dh doesn't know any better,but I don't like His parameters on things and also I don't like his thinking on certain stuff.

Thanks:-) I'm more informed then all the googling I did the previous weeks!:-)

Quoting Maevelyn:

Yes bc it's safer legally but don' put it all on them, there are women who are afraid of vaginal birth and elect c-section, also inducing early before the body has had a chance to start things on it's own increases your chance of C-section. Be firm you know your body and you've delivered before. Do the research and decide what your breaking point is, if the doc doesn't agree find one that does. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)