Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Share your views: Unique baby names?

Posted by   + Show Post

coffee

How do you feel unique baby names?

Here's a few different views on the subject- what are yours??

• hopkinspatch.com: However, it doesn’t bother me in the least when I hear a new unique name for a baby, such as Blue Ivy. In fact, I think it usually shows the parents had some in-depth thought into the name rather than blindly picking out of a baby name book.  I think a baby name can have some impact on a child—but the parenting environment the child is raised in is the bigger concern for me.
  • sheknows.com: Names like Rian (instead of Ryan) or Aeryn (instead of Erin) look cool on paper. However, in real life your child will have to get used to spelling or pronouncing their name for friends, teachers and employers. These non-traditional spellings could work for your child, but they could also work against them if they become self-conscious about always having to pronounce or spell their name.
by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:29 AM
Replies (31-40):
Owl_Feather
by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:27 PM

i like unique names but not too crazy. My sons name is Sid (not unique but I have yet to meet another Sid in this town lol) and baby girl will be Sylvia (not quite "unique" more old fashioned, but not used much anymore!)

Daniel0726
by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:28 PM

My first, middle and last names have all been on the most common lists many times, so my plans with baby names is normal first name, unique middle name.  If they get older and decided they want to go by the "cooler" name they can, and if they hate it they can use their middle initial.

nathans_mom407
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM

There have been studies done.  In one study an identical resume was sent out to the same jobs.  The only difference was the name.  The resume with the unique name was least likely to be called for an interview. 

That being said, I don't mind people trying to make their children different from the rest.  Just remember these are people who have to deal with these names for the rest of their lives.  Way past the cute kid stage.

suzyq23
by on May. 10, 2012 at 7:57 AM

we will be naming our lil girl Ire Rose......different we know, but we love it!!!

MomofNikki2010
by on May. 10, 2012 at 7:59 AM
Depends. I despise "unique" spellings and off the wall names but I love people who get away from the SSA's top 1000 lists!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjimaging
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 8:08 AM
I don't mind unique if it's like from another nationality or history. I don't really like the odd spellings. My son is Miikka but it's Finnish. I like names that aren't used a lot and are spelled normal for where they come from. My daughter is normal with Katherine. I think I want my next to be maybe a Madeline or a Curtis. But DH could have another opinion about it. We always come to agreement though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimers6
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Amy and Jasson both in the top 5 when we were born. Yes my husband has to say Jasson with 2 S's. So we decided our kids couldn't have a name in the top 100. We have Cain, Daytin, Ezekiel, Finnehas, Greshom and Hewitt. Now I see Finn and Phinehas everywhere.
AudlyLuvly
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Name your baby what you want.. Not going to effect me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilSarahgirl
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:54 AM
I like unique names, but I won't name my child a unique name because of the difficulties that unusual names come with. Our last name is hard to spell and pronounce so I don't want him to have to spell both names for everyone. I hate that I have to spell my names for everyone. I'm Sarah with an h!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raynejane
by on May. 10, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I think unique names are great. My sons name is Louden pronounced Loud-in and people hack his name left and right, once they hear what it is they always say wow I love that! My name is Amy and I have had to spell my name my whole life. Not to mention my last name is Terry and when they ask for my last name not only do they ask how its spelled when I tell them they say no..your last name, Like I am an idiot and dont know the differance...lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured