Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Did you come up with your baby's name, or did you let his father make the final decision?

Posted by   + Show Post

Moms, Not Dads, Should Have the Final Say on Baby Names

Posted by Mary Fischer on May 8, 2012 

babyWhen it comes to giving your baby the perfect name, you really just can't afford to screw up. I mean, your poor kid is going to be stuck with whatever moniker you pick out for the rest of his life, so you'd better do your research and think long and hard before putting anything down on that birth certificate. (No pressure.)

Of course, when it comes down to making the decision, moms have way more say than dads do on choosing the final name. Or at least we should. Yeah, yeah, yeah -- I know things are supposed to be all happy and equal and you're supposed to compromise when it comes to making parenting decisions. But baby names? Yeah, the moms definitely win that war hands down.

My husband and I had a pretty hard time picking out our son's name. I offered up quite a few suggestions that he immediately shot down, so when we finally did come to a consensus and found a name we both liked, we stuck with it -- and luckily it suits our 6-year-old perfectly. And while we had his first name picked out by the time I was about 4 months pregnant, we did go back and forth a bit with what his middle name would be.

You see, in my husband's family, most of the males are given one of two middle names. I won't lie -- I wasn't particularly fond of either of those names, plus neither one really seemed to fit with the first name we had chosen. Oh yeah, and then there was the part of me that knew there was no chance in hell that our son would have any other middle name than the one I'd already settled on in my head -- my dad's first name. Lucky for me, I really didn't have to fight my hubby too hard on this one, but I totally would've duked it out with him if he'd resisted me in the slightest.

After all, I was the one who had to endure 9 months of pregnancy (which included unbearable heartburn, a 50 pound weight gain, and hemorrhoids), so it only seemed fitting for me to get my way when it came to naming our son. Moms carry the babies, so moms should have the final say on what the babies are going to be called -- period. Oh, and another thing, in most cases, the baby automatically takes the father's last name, so it's not like they have any room to complain. They get a piece of the pie regardless of what that child is called. And actually, if you look at it that way, and the mom gives the baby his first name and the dad gives him the last name, everything works out to be 50/50 anyway, right?

Did you come up with your baby's name, or did you let his father make the final decision?

by on May. 10, 2012 at 4:37 AM
Replies (11-20):
Larsbug
by Laura on May. 10, 2012 at 11:28 AM

with DS1 I gave DH a small list of names, he took a couple off, then I did and it left us with 2 names and he picked DS1's name... we did the same thing with DS2 but he let me pick out of the 2 this time. And both the boys have middle names of his family members... so DS1 is Liam Scott and DS2 is Lucas Anthony

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2012 at 11:29 AM

With my oldest I picked her first name (there was no arguing it, lol) and he picked her middle. With my 2nd we did the same thing. With my 3rd I picked her full name and he hated it so we started looking over other options but, at the end of the day, she was born and when he saw her he knew my name pick was right.  With our 4th if it was my way she'd be Paige Elise, he hated it and didn't like Paige for a 1st name, even though I wanted it so badly. Olivia was my 2nd name pick and he went back & forth on it then finally decided he liked it. She was supposed to be Olivia Jade but when she was born he said Olivia Paige, so we pretty much comprimised on it, he picked 1st name and I got middle =0)

Actingbaby
by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I have picked all 3 so far. We always pick some names that we like and try to come together to get the perfect name. But for the most part I have made the final suggestion that won out in the end.

Heather2001
by Heather on May. 10, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I make the initial list, he vetoes the names he can't stand, then we talk about the remaining few.  I love both my kids' names, but we're having a bit of an issue finding a boys name for this last baby (we aren't even sure it's a boy).  The name I really like is one my husband can't stand and it makes me sad.

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on May. 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I picked out names I liked and we narrowed it down from there. I didn't give him a choice with our first though, I was NOT naming him what DH wanted.

kameka
by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Ugh I hate it when moms think they have some magical ownership over their husband because they didn't carry the child. Well guess what, my husband carried me all 9 months (figuratively) and he should have just as much say in names.
We agreed and compromised on all our kids names.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christinajoy864
by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:52 PM

it was a joint effort and suits her to a tee and we really didnt argue she was named for an angel and her middle name is my moms middle name

lovefromwithin
by on May. 10, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I picked the name all by myself and gave her my last name since BD was being one of those typical unmanly boys.

BUTTERFLY6112
by on May. 10, 2012 at 4:12 PM
He got to pick if it was a boy and i got to pick if it was a girl! Its a girl so Andrea Serenity will be here june 1st! :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amber710
by on May. 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

We are equally involved in naming our children. We would never give one a name that we did not both love. I think it is stupid that people put so much emphasis on the mothers getting the final say in everything. They are just as much his kids as they are mine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)