Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

how old is too old...

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:19 AM
  • 151 Replies
1 mom liked this

To breastfeed????? In ur opinion what would be your cut off when you babies get older.this cover made me cringe lol no offense but I think once your child is walking talking and feeding themself with a spoon shoulf be the cut off.....and no bashing just everyones views and opinions :) play nice!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gracie-May
by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:22 AM
For me personally I'm only going to breastfeed up to 12 months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candimalice
by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:28 AM
3 moms liked this
They say up to 12 months it bennifits the child, after that its really a comfort thing. For me if your baby is eating at a dinner table, then they should be drinking from a cup not the breast... this makes an 'age' hard to say... past two is too old for my comfort, but I personaly stop before that.. mine were drinking whole milk from a cup by age one, not long before then but by then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candimalice
by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:30 AM
2 moms liked this
And that cover is bothersome to me as well, I can't imagine it healthy for a child to retain life long memories of breast feeding... imagine being 20 or 30 and remembering drinking from your mothers breast as a kid, not a baby but a kid!?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
try4baby20
by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:40 AM
For me personally 18-24 mo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anna.Leigh
by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:47 AM

IDK I think once a child weans themselves but also the weaning has to be mutual I would think between mother and child. I am having my first child so no clue as to what I am talking about exactly just giving an opinion on the subject.

Taylor.gibson74
by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:51 AM
I deffinetly agree lol :)

Quoting candimalice:

And that cover is bothersome to me as well, I can't imagine it healthy for a child to retain life long memories of breast feeding... imagine being 20 or 30 and remembering drinking from your mothers breast as a kid, not a baby but a kid!?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rayawni
by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:57 AM
6 moms liked this
Actually untrue. The benefits don't just stop at 12 months. They still get immunities and vital nutrients. I weaned my first at 26 months, my second at 18 mon because I am pregnant. This baby will breastfeed until whenever. Do you remember anything from when you were 3 years old? I know my oldest doesn't remember breastfeeding at 2 years. National weaning age is actually 4. I hate articles like this because it puts things in a negative light. It's is up to mom and baby when to wean. It's a mutual relationship. It's not disgusting nor wrong.

Quoting candimalice:

They say up to 12 months it bennifits the child, after that its really a comfort thing. For me if your baby is eating at a dinner table, then they should be drinking from a cup not the breast... this makes an 'age' hard to say... past two is too old for my comfort, but I personaly stop before that.. mine were drinking whole milk from a cup by age one, not long before then but by then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
army_wifey_06
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Quoting try4baby20:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candimalice
by on May. 12, 2012 at 6:17 AM
I do have memories from age three, they were my first of course but they are vivid and I've never lost them or have had them faded...
I've never found anything that says breast milk provides nutrition for a baby over one that they can't get from other foods and so what I meant is after age one it becomes a suplment for other foods and drinks rather than a one and only source available up to that point... and I see no problem with moms nursing beyond age one although I see it as for comfort and bonding at that point...

Quoting Rayawni:

Actually untrue. The benefits don't just stop at 12 months. They still get immunities and vital nutrients. I weaned my first at 26 months, my second at 18 mon because I am pregnant. This baby will breastfeed until whenever. Do you remember anything from when you were 3 years old? I know my oldest doesn't remember breastfeeding at 2 years. National weaning age is actually 4. I hate articles like this because it puts things in a negative light. It's is up to mom and baby when to wean. It's a mutual relationship. It's not disgusting nor wrong.

Quoting candimalice:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
army_wifey_06
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2012 at 6:27 AM
I should clarify...I don't think 18-24 months is too old but that's what I personally bf til.

Quoting army_wifey_06:

Quoting try4baby20:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN