Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

1 update 6-1-12: How do I increase breast milk supply?

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 4:54 PM
  • 29 Replies

6-1-12

Hi Ladies. Breastmilk supply seems to be steady now. There are ups and downs but I do notice that with rest, mood, hydration, caloric intake, Joseph's heath, life in general all plays a role.

The Fenugreek does make me smell like a PANCAKE! I actually do not mind it, lol.

I just started drinking the organic mother's milk tea. I like it. I add one splenda to my drink and I am good to go. I will have to let you know if I see results in increase in a couple of days.

Thank you all for your support HUGS....pic of Joseph icluded in post!!! BREAST MILK HAS DONE MY BOY GOOD!!!!!!!!

5-13-12
Thank you ladies for your advice! I have increased my water and caloric intake. I am drinking water all the time.

Over this past weekend I got in some extra rest.

I am going to pump while at the NICU and increase my pumping through out the day. I also have to be relaxed when pumping.

I may kust get me a beer every now and again...plus some oatmeal.

As for the supplement...begins with an f....i need to take enough to smell like a pancake....super awesome smell but i will work with the other methods first :-)

The mothers milk/tea, how does it taste?

I am also working with lactation consultant! She is awesome and a life saver (or nipple saver!)

Once again thank you ladies!!!

Side note. My son is three weeks old and I held him for the first time today. My boys motivate me to want so much from life <3

-------////------/:::::::::---------////:::::/

How do I increase breast milk supply? My right breast seems to produce more than my left, but supply seems low.

I am only pumping due to my son being in NICU.

by on May. 12, 2012 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on May. 12, 2012 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

How much are you pumping, and how many weeks postpartum are you?

Oatmeal and fenugreek are a great way to increase your supply, but making sure you drink at least 64oz of water a day. Milk supply begins with the basics, including hydration. Do you think of your baby while pumping, or maybe look at a picture? That will help.

The thing that always did the most to help my pumping output was to not pay attention to the pump or bottles. If I get distracted, I pump out 10-20% more.

Greeney1982
by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:19 PM
I will be three weeks exactly tomorrow. My eating habits and hydration has not been the best. I am trying hard to get that in line

The more I relax the better my output. I look at pictures of my munchkin and videos.

With my first so I had no issues. Being apart from my LO is terribly hard.

Quoting Pandapanda:

Oatmeal and fenugreek are a great way to increase your supply, but making sure you drink at least 64oz of water a day. Milk supply begins with the basics, including hydration. Do you think of your baby while pumping, or maybe look at a picture? That will help.

The thing that always did the most to help my pumping output was to not pay attention to the pump or bottles. If I get distracted, I pump out 10-20% more.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on May. 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I can only imagine. :(

Hydration is a big factor in supply, so try to get that in check. Get yourself a cup or water bottle with ouncez marked on the side so that you can see how much you're drinking. That helps me!

Quoting Greeney1982:

I will be three weeks exactly tomorrow. My eating habits and hydration has not been the best. I am trying hard to get that in line

The more I relax the better my output. I look at pictures of my munchkin and videos.

Quoting Pandapanda:

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

AudlyLuvly
by on May. 12, 2012 at 6:13 PM
2 moms liked this
They have mothers tea? Mothers milk tea? Pumping often as possible, as well. Even if you're not getting much, and they're not that full.. The more often you empty, the more you'll produce.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this
How often are you pumping?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Greeney1982
by on May. 12, 2012 at 7:46 PM
Every three to four hours. After bedtime I stretch it to six for sleep purposes.

I have picked up my water consumption and have been in rest mode the last two days.

Since my son's birth I have been at the hospital everyday, not giving myself time to rest or heal. I am hoping that much needed rest will assist as well.

I am going to also buy the supplement that ladies are suggesting.

Some ladies have suggested oatmeal, I do not eat that.

I am working hard to produce milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Most women have to pump every 2 hours during the day and 3-4 hours at night to produce enough. Pumps are not nearly as effective as babies!

Have you ever tried steel cut oats? It's oatmeal but not as mushy as rolled oats. In fact, it is even better for your supply than the rolled oats.

Hope something works for you! I think it is awesome that you are pumping for your son. It takes a lot of love and dedication :)

Quoting Greeney1982:

Every three to four hours. After bedtime I stretch it to six for sleep purposes.

I have picked up my water consumption and have been in rest mode the last two days.

Since my son's birth I have been at the hospital everyday, not giving myself time to rest or heal. I am hoping that much needed rest will assist as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyliesmommy7
by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Ask your ob about reglan its worked wonders for me im still on it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM
Oatmeal!!! So good for milk supply and maybe drink half a dark beer now and then. That really helped my supply. Make sure you are eating enough.

Quoting Greeney1982:

Quoting Pandapanda:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Quoting Greeney1982:

How much are you actually pumping, though?   How much per session, how much per day? 

To establish suppy, you really, really need to be pumping every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night.   I know it sucks, but if baby were home you'd be waking at LEAST that often anyway.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)