Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Can I stop gaining weight without harming my baby?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know I'm not supposed to "diet" as in depriving myself...   But I was already maybe 10-15 lbs over my ideal weight when I started, and have been gaining weight furiously this pregnancy... (Started about 140-  dr has me starting at 150, but he didn't weigh me till I was 8 wks and I know I had already gained at that point)  and I'm  now already 172lbs at 25 wks....    With my first I started at 130 and ended up 186...  I don't want to end up pushing 200! I'm only 5"2"!  Would it be ok if just through eating *lighter* and excersizing I just didn't gain anymore?  Or very little?

by on May. 27, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
lj.smommy
by on May. 27, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Your weights are about exact as mine! Except I started this pregnancy at 155. I'm 11w/4d and so far I've only gained a couple pounds. I've been only drinking water and if I really want soda I get a sprite. I make sure I keep fruits and vectors and other healthy snacks and when I cook I try to keep it in healthier meals. Very rarely do I eat unhealthy and if I do want to eat out I usually get subway lol hope this helps some. though Ill admit at 8w I was weighing 161 but I only lost it due to morning sickness and cutting out sugar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marimaru
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

If you are eating healthy, and lose a little, that's fine.  I can tell you that my eating has not been stellar, but I have been working out this whole pregnancy and not gained much.  I workout with a trainer 3 days a week, and I haven't been doing any on top of that and while I'm not going nuts with food, I eat what I want.  I started at 241, lost 10 lbs in my first trimester, and got back to 241 a couple of weeks ago.  I have lost another 5 lbs because I have the flu though.

Just make sure your doctor is on board with whatever you do.

kris0921
by on May. 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Oh believe me there are some days when I just want to come home and crash out, because I am so tired from work and dont want to cook or do anything. But I have also realized if I stop moving for even 5mins its that much harder to get back up. When I get home with my son I give him a snack and start cleaning up. Once he is done I get him out and we play in his room for about 20 to 30mins or until my husband wakes up (he works nights). Then once he is up I give him our son and start dinner. After dinner we go for about a 3 mile walk/jog. Then we get back home and I put our son to sleep, while he gets ready for work, and I get myself in bed. The first about week of doing this shedule I was dog tired, but I also felt better. We started when I was about 7wks doing this. Some days we do slack off and dont walk just because we have other things to get done and do. I hope I have given you some good advice. GL and it really helps when your husband is pushing you to go for the walks.

Quoting earthmama727:

I'm on my feet all day at work too! I think that's half my problem. By the time I get home I'm already exhausted and have to really push myself to work out at all.  And in my first trimester I was waking up ridiculously early for work, then coming home as my DH left to be the only one caring for our preschooler who refuses to nap... So I was relying too heavily on convenience foods and not excersizing...   

Trying to take evening walks now on a daily basis and go to yoga when I can...    And need to just cut out all sugary junk too... I didn't think I was over duing it, but according to my gain, i must be!

Quoting kris0921:

If your worried about what your eating and gaining weight, I would look up the Gestational Diabetes Menu just for healthier choices to add in. Also I gained about 40lbs with my son and I only want to gain 20lbs with this one. I am doing great so far (started 163 now 21wks 171), but I stay on my feet at work alot, then come home and am on my feet with my son, and I also go for walks in the evenings with my husband. The only time I get off my feet is on the weekends, but even then I swim and go to the park with my son.

Autumn19
by Ruby Member on May. 28, 2012 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

try to eat lots of fresh fruits and vegis. lots of watermelon not only is it a good fruit for summer but it has lots of water to. stick to ice cold water instead of other drinks. eat lots of lean protiens like grilled chicken. avoid anything fried. you should be fine :)

MrsNewman
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I would eat healthy and maybe do some walking. Extreme dieting is bad for you both.

MomAsOf_2008
by on May. 28, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I am almost 31 weeks and have  yet to gain any weight. And my little bundle is doing good. It just depends on each person and etc.

Owl_Feather
by on May. 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM
Produce is your friend! Also eat 6 small meals a day instead of three big ones. Walk a lot and I highly recommend prenatal yoga!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmiJanell
by on May. 28, 2012 at 11:38 AM
2 moms liked this

I would not try to NOT gain weight...

But you can focus on your diet and make sure your food choices are healthy

keegansmom1025
by on May. 28, 2012 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never  had this problem im a fat chick,  dont know if that anything to  do with it.  But I just gain baby weight. Gained 10lbs first pregnancy baby was 9lbs 10oz , second pregnancy 8lbs & baby was 8lbs 8oz. But  I agree with everyone just start making healthy food choices. Goodluck with the rest of your pregnancy.

nickigoingon8
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

It depends on how you are eating in the first place. If you are eating two or more servings at every meal then cut those to one. Try just taking a walk 3 to 5 days a week if possible and try to eat more fruits and veggies instead of junk. Watch your fast food intake and fried foods and just try to eat healthier. You have to gain weight, but it is possible to slow it down so that you don't gain another 30 pounds.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN