Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Can I stop gaining weight without harming my baby?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know I'm not supposed to "diet" as in depriving myself...   But I was already maybe 10-15 lbs over my ideal weight when I started, and have been gaining weight furiously this pregnancy... (Started about 140-  dr has me starting at 150, but he didn't weigh me till I was 8 wks and I know I had already gained at that point)  and I'm  now already 172lbs at 25 wks....    With my first I started at 130 and ended up 186...  I don't want to end up pushing 200! I'm only 5"2"!  Would it be ok if just through eating *lighter* and excersizing I just didn't gain anymore?  Or very little?

by on May. 27, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Replies (21-30):
LOVE_mygirls58
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

with  every child of mine and right now I started out at 126 and aI am now 170!! So I gained more then you and I am also 5'3

I eat healhty no junk food and take daily walks......

just keep doing what you are doing.....I wouldn't diet when you are pregnant..some people gain barely anything and some gain alot no matter what

vinalex0581
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Honestly, I would talk to your OBGYN about that.

I think it's to serious to just do on your own, you don't want to harm the baby in any way.

That's just my opinion.

On May 23rd I was at 8 months. A week before that, I went to my doctors and she told me that the baby weighs 3 pounds. My SO weighed 4lbs when he was born so I'm worried that this baby might not weigh that much when he's born.

With my first son he weighed 6.9oz so I'm trying to compare this baby to my first son's weight.

I'm trying to eat as much as possible because I want this baby to be healthy and at a decent weight when he's born so he doesn't have to go through the ICU or anything.

Honestly, at this point, IDC how much weight I gain just as long as this baby is healthy.

With my first son, before I was pregnant I weigh 140 but then right before I had my son I weighed 240

I met my SO (6 years later) and I was at 160 and now I'm a little under 200 (my height: 5 feet or 5"1'). So comparing this pregnancy to my first pregnancy I don't think that i'm doing that bad.

LadyByrdNest
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM

When I was pregnant. I was told to eat what I'd already been eating plus 1 medium banana and one low fat yogurt a day. I did that, gained 14 pounds and lost it all the first week after the baby was born. He was healthy!

JocelynsMama1
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Your doctor should have talked to you about this...Gaining too much weight can actually be as harmful as gaining not enough....it just depends on the circumstances. You shouldn't have gained 10 lbs in those first 8 wks though...but no its not going to hurt you to try to stay around the weight you are as long as you do it wisely. Talk to your dr. he should be able to tell you an appropriate amount of calorie intake for your individual case. Usually dr.s will suggest a weight to try to stay under but don't be discouraed if you still gain some you still have a ways to go lol. But I'm sure your dr. would support slowing the weight gain down....good luck

jeenw1019
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Quoting bri2011:

Eat plenty of fruits and veggies. Light excercise and drink mainly water.)

mem82
by Ruby Member on May. 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Drink lots of water and eat small portions.

mem82
by Ruby Member on May. 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I agree with talking to your OB. He or she might be able to refer you to a nutritionist.

raegan1221
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Eating healthy during pregnancy is really important anyways and exercise. When I was pregnant, my dr wanted me to walk 2 miles/day. So I think as long as you aren't overdoing it, then go for it! :)

kayleesmom42328
by Member on May. 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

My ob told me as long as I was eating healthy it was ok to loss since I wasn't a 100 lb skinny thing trying to lose while preg. And to not deprive myself the things my body & the baby needs. Also don't over do it with exercising. I think as long as your dr knows your exercising & trying to watch your weight it should be fine.

CafeMom Tickers

Tana13us
by on May. 28, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I only gained 17 pounds and i had a healthy baby.i did food journals, consulted a nutritionist and had a strict work out routine.I was able to run until month 5, then power walk for an hour and swimming for 45 minutes ..all that daily,i did yoga and nintendo wii zumba and other games

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)