Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Can I stop gaining weight without harming my baby?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know I'm not supposed to "diet" as in depriving myself...   But I was already maybe 10-15 lbs over my ideal weight when I started, and have been gaining weight furiously this pregnancy... (Started about 140-  dr has me starting at 150, but he didn't weigh me till I was 8 wks and I know I had already gained at that point)  and I'm  now already 172lbs at 25 wks....    With my first I started at 130 and ended up 186...  I don't want to end up pushing 200! I'm only 5"2"!  Would it be ok if just through eating *lighter* and excersizing I just didn't gain anymore?  Or very little?

by on May. 27, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Replies (31-40):
Pooobaihr
by on May. 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM

There are some countries that do not want you to gain a lot of weight. The babies there turn out fine. So I don't think there is a problem.

lordkanarven
by on May. 28, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I stopped gaining weight (not on purpose I just didn't gain anymore) after about 28 weeks and my baby was perfectly healthy.

Join me in Blues Mamas if you have a passion for music!
Katie44
by on May. 28, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Eat healthy and exercise
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaydensmomma707
by on May. 28, 2012 at 1:34 PM

i was slighty overweight too and I have lost 15 pds and no gained any of it back here at 20 weeks oh well its fine by me and I have been eating lol!

ele2837
by Member on May. 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Talk to your doctor. That is really the only person that can give you an answer.

mcr17
by on May. 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM

completely different for me. im 34 wks and have gained a maximum of 6 lbs my whole pregnancy.

SMG1120
by on May. 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I'm over weight and when I got pregnant with my son my doc told me that I could still "diet" as long as it wasnt extreme (I was on a diet and losing weight before I got pregnant, lost 70 lbs prior to pregnancy). Any way I didnt continue my diet. I ate whatever I wanted when I wanted. I ate like a pig and some how I only managed to gain 10 lbs total through out my whole pregnancy. My doc was actually worried once I hit 36 weeks because I had only gained 5 lbs by that point. My son was 9 lbs 6 oz at birth.

With my daughter I was eating really healthy and exercising, the whole 9 yards and I gained 40 lbs with her. I really think it all depends on the pregnancy and baby. Baby is gonna take what it needs regardless. I suggest talking it over with your doc and see what they suggest and the best way to approach it for you and baby.

MandiFuego
by on May. 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

TBH, I started off at 125, I'm about 180 now. at almost 33 weeks. Seems like a alot of weight, but I can still wear some of my none maternity shirts AND button some of my non maternity pants.( some 11's and 12s my "fat" jeans BUT even back then the highest I weighed wearing those was about 20 lbs less than I do now)

I'm not too worried about my scale. My doctor told me not to from day one. I walk a nice amount a few times a week and I eat healthy ( most of the time lol) I'm healthy and in shape ( although the heat is REALLY starting to test me) 

Don't be so concerned with the number ( PS I'm shorter than you are) eating healthy and exercise are great things but I wouldn't let it bother you so much about the number unless your doctor is concerned

getoesuepastah
by on May. 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM

if by eating lighter u ean eating less than normal, then no!  u need to eat the correct amount for you alone, then add about 300 calories a day for the baby, worry about losing weight after the baby is born, dont be so damn selfish

jaydensmom1726
by on May. 28, 2012 at 2:55 PM

my dr told me to walk atleasat 20 minutes a day  in addition to the walking i did at work.

also i traded my coffe habit for a smoothie habit

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN