Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Can I stop gaining weight without harming my baby?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know I'm not supposed to "diet" as in depriving myself...   But I was already maybe 10-15 lbs over my ideal weight when I started, and have been gaining weight furiously this pregnancy... (Started about 140-  dr has me starting at 150, but he didn't weigh me till I was 8 wks and I know I had already gained at that point)  and I'm  now already 172lbs at 25 wks....    With my first I started at 130 and ended up 186...  I don't want to end up pushing 200! I'm only 5"2"!  Would it be ok if just through eating *lighter* and excersizing I just didn't gain anymore?  Or very little?

by on May. 27, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Replies (41-50):
earthmama727
by on May. 28, 2012 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Selfish? WTF? It's not HEALTHY for me OR the baby to gain too much!  It's a HEALTH question, not a vanity question.  

Quoting getoesuepastah:

if by eating lighter u ean eating less than normal, then no!  u need to eat the correct amount for you alone, then add about 300 calories a day for the baby, worry about losing weight after the baby is born, dont be so damn selfish

getoesuepastah
by on May. 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

u clearly said u wanted TO STOP gaining weight! which in order for that to happen the baby would have to STOP GROWING in wich case ud be giving birth to a 40 week baby whos the size of a 25 weeker!

Quoting earthmama727:

Selfish? WTF? It's not HEALTHY for me OR the baby to gain too much!  It's a HEALTH question, not a vanity question.  

Quoting getoesuepastah:

if by eating lighter u ean eating less than normal, then no!  u need to eat the correct amount for you alone, then add about 300 calories a day for the baby, worry about losing weight after the baby is born, dont be so damn selfish

jessi2girls
by on May. 28, 2012 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

if you are going to exercise talk to your doctor about save methods of exercising.

however dont' diet.. swap out unhealthy meals and snacks for healthy snacks instead!!!

drink plenty of water..

and once you have the baby.. try breastfeeding.. it's not just beneficial to baby.. that's a 500-800 calorie burner a day!! :).

JadeStorm
by on May. 28, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I'm 5'2 and with my first child I ballooned to 224..This pregnancy I cant even gain 30 lbs..my wight is fluctuating...Just eat healthy and eat several small meals rather than huge ones..dot wait till you are STARVING to eat...tummy growls..have a healthy snack...I keep crakers and scheddar cheese around me and fruit...

Hesmynavyman
by on May. 28, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Honestly just eat healthy ONLY if you do have a craving eat it in moderation! Don'r deprive yourself. You will only gain people. There has been some articles out that have said woman who do not eat breakfast, and lunch, gain more water weight, they puff up, and they aren't very healthy at all. I feel for ya. I was 150 lbs all through high school and for ME that was a healthy weight. Anything less I was sick looking and fragile. But I have been preggo 5 times, had 2 miscarriages which did some weight gain to my body, the stress, the breastfeeding now I have a 2 yr old, 13 month old, and preggo again.. I am 208 :( Makes me sad, but I was 170 after My daughter and was like 165 when I got peggo with her, got preggo again, gained weight, lost some, miscarried, then had my son, I was like 180-208, stayed 208 for a few months I went down to 180. Now I am 208 with this baby, but was like 195 when I got preggo. I am done feeling down, and bad about myself. Who cares! I worked out for 5 days a week, I also walked my butt off everyday and still am very healthy. I am going to be a breastmilk donor after this baby. That's the plan. Just work out when u can, eat healthy. Good luck Momma! We are Momma for a reason. Having babies put a layer of fat on us. Be proud, and be proud yes u will loose it over time. hugs

Scarlette12
by on May. 28, 2012 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I must be weird, I ate anything I crave for and I only gain 20lbs O.o;

Hesmynavyman
by on May. 28, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Quoting earthmama727:

Quoting getoesuepastah:

With my son I could have ate way.. more and chose not to! He was born a little on the smaller side. Just EAT for your baby! Who cares about weight, do it after the baby is born. Good Luck! I kicked myself in the butt for not taking in a little more calories per day, Now I have been eating whatever I want in moderation and My baby is starting to faten up. I love chubby babies. The baby needs fatty foods that are healthy for the brain devlopment, for the baby fat on them. Faten that baby up. Congrats!

Hesmynavyman
by on May. 28, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I'm the same way! Lol I have always gained 17-20 lbs, but with my 1st I gained 30 lbs total. :) I ate what I wanted, and still will I will loose the weight after the baby I am not worried.

Quoting Scarlette12:

Scarlette12
by on May. 28, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I was 220lbs when I gotten pregnant, I lost 10lbs because of morning sickness ( I couldn't hold anything down)... Then that stop I gain back the 10 plus 10 more so I ended up 235 (: ... After she was born, I lost 35lbs and now I am 200lbs.. I breast feed that's part of it  and I also on my feet a lot, picking her up all the time lol...

Quoting Hesmynavyman:

I'm the same way! Lol I have always gained 17-20 lbs, but with my 1st I gained 30 lbs total. :) I ate what I wanted, and still will I will loose the weight after the baby I am not worried.

Quoting Scarlette12:

Aslen
by on May. 28, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I lost weight both pregnancies. I lost 17 with my oldest and over FRTY with my youngest. My youngest weighed almost a pound more than my oldest did.

As long as the baby is on track, you're fine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)