Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Are you trying to stick to healthy eating habits while you are pregnant or waiting until after baby to "get on track"?

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 4:38 AM
  • 3 Replies

Jessica Simpson's Post-Baby Weight Plan Should Have Started 9 Months Ago

Posted by Maressa Brown on May 31, 2012 

jessica simpsonSince announcing her pregnancy last fall, Jessica Simpson hasn't been shy about, well, really anything. From bodily functions to maternity fashion and postpartum sex, she's been an open book. Now it's time for her to be completely forthcoming about her post-baby weight loss plan, which we all knew a while back was likely going to be Weight Watchers. (She reportedly clinched a $3 mil. deal with them while carrying baby Maxwell Drew.) And surprise -- Jess tweeted on Wednesday that she's "so excited to be part of the Weight Watchers family."

According to People, Jess was planning on doing Weight Watchers before she was pregnant, but when she got the happy news, she put the plan on hold, which makes sense. But what doesn't make sense is this idea that you have to put a healthy lifestyle on hold in order to "enjoy your pregnancy."

I'm most frustrated reading about how Jess is just now planning to "adopt a strong focus on healthy eating, behavioral change, activity," etc.

The way Jess sees it:

I was like, 'I'm going to enjoy my pregnancy,' and I did. I ate very healthy, but I did indulge some of my cravings -- and that's okay because I know I can work it off now.

Okay, sure, every pregnant woman is completely entitled to indulge cravings, but still -- why should "everything in moderation" go completely out the window? Why make it even harder for yourself once you have given birth? And furthermore, why take the chance that you could put your body and your baby at risk (i.e. gestational diabetes, putting your child at risk for obesity later in life, etc.) by "enjoying" yourself a bit too much?

And there's proof that Jess might be regretting just how much fun she had. There have been reports that she's super stressed about getting the baby weight off ASAP. She even said:

I think anybody who's gone through a pregnancy, after they have the baby, it's like, 'I need to do something about this.' For me, I really want to do something that is a lifestyle, because in the past, I've been known to yo-yo diet.

While it's awesome that she's now on track to shedding the pounds in a smart, grounded way, I have to wonder why she couldn't have been engaging in healthy behaviors before or while she was pregnant? I'm not talking about being one of those pregnant women who is counting every calorie and being OCD about how much weight she's "allowed" to gain. That's a scary extreme itself. But it sounds like Jess just figured she could procrastinate and wait to get on track until after baby, which is fine ... It just means that now, she's feeling even more under the gun to get the extra weight off.

In the end, I'm sure Jess will reach her goal, we'll all cheer her on, and it'll make for a fabulous success story. Still, perhaps by adopting some of those healthy habits a bit sooner, she could have saved herself undue, un-healthy stress.

Did you try to stick to healthy eating habits while you were pregnant or wait until after baby to "get on track"?

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 4:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
munkiebaby
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 6:26 PM

BOTH!!! i eat healthy dureing and try to after as well.

olivejuice2
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM
I feel it's more important that I eat healthy while pregnant than while not pregnant. Everything I eat goes directly to baby- every preservative in every bit of junk food I indulge in. Yes, I indulge anyway but I have placed a lot more emphasis on fresh fruits and veggies and other healthy foods than I did before I got pregnant!
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jun. 1, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I ate WHATEVER I wanted with my first pregnancy. And now, more than 3 years later, I'm still paying for it dearly. So with my second baby, I worked pretty hard to keep my eating under control, I got a little desperate towards the end of my pregnancy and ate some crappy stuff, and once again, I'm still paying for it 8 months later. I constantly struggle with my eating and weight, pregnant or not. I know that it is important to never let it go and just do what I feel like. Because sometimes, or all the time for me, it doesn't just come right back off after you are pregnant or when you work out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)