Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

My sister said my birth plan is worthless....(any input is great!)

Posted by   + Show Post

(Yes, I know it is a bit long, I'm sorry. If you will, please read though.)

I asked yesterday about how to make a birth plan (i'm only 12 weeks but I want to know that anyone of my doctors are listening...they haven't been so far)

My sister (the one mentioned in the plan) said that it is worthless to make one and that mine is stupid and uncalled for. I was wondering if this is true? are my "demands" unreasonable or outlandish?

yes, she did hurt my feelings a bit by saying this. I still need to have the items listed approved or modified by both my doctor and the hospital but the is the rough draft. please, any input at all is great! yes, this is our first. 

Birth plan:
Labor partners: Ryan (husband) & Andrea (sister)

*if for any reason my husband cannot perform his responsibilities during or after the birth, my sister will stand in.

Labor and delivery:
1) upon arrival i do not want Pitocin to be administered. If my water has not yet broken on its own, i would like for it to happen naturally.
2) i would like to remain in my own clothing as long as possible before having to wear the hospital gown.
3) i do not want to be induced. Things may change later own but for now this is not an option for me.
4) i do not want pain meds offered to me. If needed, i will ask for options but i do not want to feel forced into it. An epidural is the last resort.
5) i do not want a c-section. I will labor for as long as i can naturally and a c-section will only be discussed if medically necessary and i must consent to it as well as my husband. (If a c-section is preformed, my wish is to keep as many of the after birth instructions as possible.)
6) i do not want an IV unless necessary. I am ok with a heplock.
7) during labor i would like to be able to eat or drink as i wish.
8) during labor i refuse to be "tied down". I want to be able to move and walk as i wish, this includes a shower or warm water bath.
9) during labor only close family is allowed in my room. During active labor only my husband and sister are allowed.
10) i would like to be able to utilize different birth positions.
11) i do not wish to use a belt monitor or internal monitor. I do not mind periodic Doppler monitoring.
12) aside from the initial exam, no internal vaginal exams until i ask.
13) i do not wish to have an episiotomy if avoidable.
14) the vacuum will not be used on my child.
15) i would like for my husband, Ryan, to "catch" the baby if at all possible.
16) no medications at all will be given to me unless i request them of i consent to them with a full explanation.

After the birth:
1) no Pitocin will be administered immediately after to expel the placenta. If there is a problem, other options will be discussed.
2) the cord will not be cut until after the placenta has been delivered and/or it has stopped pulsing and turned white. My husband will be the one to cut the cord.
3) direct skin-to-skin contact and nursing immediately after birth. This is a must. APGAR scores can be taken during nursing. Weight and such can be taken later.
4) baby does not go anywhere without je or daddy for any reason. Baby will be in my room and will not be in the nursery unless medically necessary. Baby
will not have any shots or test without our consent beforehand.
5) if baby is a boy he may be circumcised (husband and i are still discussing this actually so this one may change before than)
6) no bottle, paci's or sugar water. Baby is exclusively breast fed
7) day one of baby's life is mommy and daddy bonding time. We will update family but we do not wish to take visitors until day two. (this may change for CLOSE family)

8) I will be the one to give baby his/her first bath. This will be after nursing and bonding have taken place.

*I know that anything can change at any time and if an emergency should arise, most of these wishes will not be possible but these are my wishes for the birth experience I have planned and I ask that you be respectful of them and me during this time. Thank you.

by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:06 PM
Replies (61-70):
jillj501
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Sounds exactly like mine. The only differences are the heplock, I did not even have that. I did get the injection of pitocin after birthing my son. Also I did not request my husband to catch baby. All of my requests were met but I also had my doctor's support in advanced and birthed in a hospital that promotes a more natural birth. If your docs are not on the same page as you then yes, your birthplan is pointless. I would discuss this with your doc soon so you can look for a new doc if needed.
Hazelnutkin
by Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Is the sister who is supposed tp be there with you the same one who thinks this is worthless? That might be something to reconsider.

KatieGirls2
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:00 PM
This, unless you are going to am alternative birth center our something half of this stuff isn't possible....

Quoting MomofNikki2010:

And reading through these, a hospital will not/cannot follow many of them. They have to follow regulations put out by CMS and other accrediting bodies and a lot of this is in direct violation on some of these regulations.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leo8983
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I had a birth plan very similar to yours. Thankfully my hospital was VERY mommy/baby friendly. Their main concern was me and baby. It was just my husband and the nurse in the room with me until it was time for dd to come out. No pain meds, labored in many positions, baby and i had "the golden hour" baby was placed on me skin to skin directly after birth and not removed for an hour to give us bonding time. I didnt want to eat because labor was so intense I was actually vomiting. Most drs now a days are going away from episiotomies. A birth plan is always good to have no matter how simple or detailed. It's up to you and your husband to make your demands known and not let the drs or nurses push you into things you don't want.
Ireallydontcare
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:06 AM
2 moms liked this

This is perfectly acceptable. You don't sound rigid. I don't know why you would want her as a support person if you are already having issues with her supporting you. You do not need any added stress around you while in labor. If she is so negative now and not supportive of your choices, why would she be so while you are in labor. I would choose someone else.

Caseri
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I love it! This is exactly how the birth of my first child went! Legally, they have to do their best to follow your wishes. Remember, you put in the birth plan that if need be (emergency) you'd consider your options. I had pitosin after baby waa born because I started to bleed a ton. (If I remember right) that is the only way I allowed it! My baby didn't get exposed to any meds/drugs!
Have you thought about a doula? I had one with my first child. Its a natural birthing couch. The nurses still checked me when they had to but I did the entire thing as I wanted with my doula by my side. I walked the halls, sat on the birthing ball, sat in the tub, etc. I wanted to deliver on my hands and knees but the pressure was too painful so I did that on my back, but completely natural! Get the birthplan to your dr. Asap and go from there. I'd consider a doula cuz it'll be a lot easier to stick to your birth plan! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Caseri
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Also, I don't know what state your in, but I've never heard of anything in your birth plan being against codes or anything of the sort. The hospitals usually do things a certain way...if you have a birth plan they have to do it your way as requested, by law. I didn't have an IV cuz it was in my birth plan. No drugs, no snipping, I ate snacks while in labor. This was all in my birth plan. Keirra was given to me before anything else, and the first thing she did was breast feed!
The hospital's responsibility is to keep you two safe. Beyond that, how the baby comes into this world is up to you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rayawni
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Apgars do not mean baby is taken away from you to get them done. It is an assessment immediately at birth for tone color cry respirations and hr. we can check heart rate wih the cord easily since it pulsates right at birth with baby on your stomach. Bath is not immediately done either. That's much later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoyfulMommy1221
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this
That sounds like mine =) and the drs and nurses followed mine no issue! Lol though I left it in the car so I ended up verbally telling them lol
jonellg
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:10 AM

no one's going to read it, this is my third baby the hospitals do it their way so research it and pic one you agree with

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN