Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Sleeping on my back.

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:43 PM
  • 21 Replies
I can't help sleeping on my back! Even when I try falling asleep on my side, I end up waking up on my back. Im only 17 weeks along, is it too early to really matter and what bad does it actually do? Im kind of getting paranoid about it now :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GGsMommy07
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:46 PM

i sleep on my back sometimes...but mostly on my side with my boppy =)

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I sleep on my back all the time.  It's never been a problem for me.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
rach_mommy
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Well I told my mom that I couldn't help but sleep on my back and she was like DON'T SLEEP ON YOUR BACK! So it got me all paranoid :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
earthmama727
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I've had this issue this pregnancy myself. I fall asleep on my side but wake up either on my back or belly. The problem for me, @ 27 weeks (and for the last few weeks) is that it's really uncomfortable... Like in a weird way. If I am on my back for more than a couple minutes I feel nauseous, or like the blood is rushing to my head. I think the physiology behind it is that the weight of the baby and everything is weighing on your major blood vessels that run through your center and it cuts off circulation.   As for laying on the tummy, that i know is just really uncomfortable... Not sure what the problem is but i do get paranoid that I'm smooshing the baby.  I wonder if that could affect it's ability to turn when it's supposed to towards the end? Not sure though...

LucyHourglass
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:09 PM

yeah you aren't supposed to sleep on your back because it can cut off circulation to the baby, but you don't have to really worry about it until your 20+ weeks. I had that issue of waking up on my back when i was 17 weeks like you, just wedge a pillow under one side of your back so that your not lying flat on your back but slightly on the side..

phdesertbunny
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this
It cuts off blood flow to the baby and thats how they get oxygen. But only 17 weeks you prolly arnt big enough
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Owl_Feather
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM
You'll put pressure on the vena cava which provides oxygen and nutrients to your baby. You're still early though! If you're putting pressure on it, your body will feel uncomfortable. But it is a good habit to start sleeping on your side to get used to it. Use pillows!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rach_mommy
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Thanks guys! Im def going to wedge a pillow between me and the bed tonight!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gumeshoe
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Stolen idea from the Dr. Oz pregancy book. Suggested to sleep with 2 pillows under your head and 1 under your back. So your butt is lower, tilting the uterus further down, less on my back. I don't have lots of pillows, so I folded a comforter to accomplish the task plus my regular pillow. I sleep so comfy now. I sleep better on my back than on my left side and it had gotten to a point that it was impossible to do at maybe 19 weeks. And it makes being on left more comfortable, when I wind up there.

Marimaru
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:24 AM
My SIL is a back sleeper and often found herself on her back. Her doctor told her that her body will wake her up if there was going to be an issue.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)